This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When we got the news in August we wouldn’t be allowed back on campus, I was as devastated as the next kid craving a typical college lifestyle after being sent home in March. Although our current circumstance isn’t ideal, here are some ways to look on the bright side and make the most of every day!

1. Adventure is all around you

Living at home has definitely encouraged my friends and I to make the most of each weekend. Not to say that weekends at school weren’t fun – I’d do anything to be tailgating on a sunny Saturday in October – but we have to accept that that isn’t a reality right now, so take advantage of this opportunity to try other things! Perhaps it’s a day trip to a charming Cape Cod town you’ve never explored, or a night out in Boston for dinner. Maybe you’ll coordinate a visit to Amherst to see friends off-campus and savor a slice of Antonio’s pizza. Another fun idea is to rotate visiting the hometowns of your college friends. You’ve probably heard a ton about your BFF’s favorite coffee shop or restaurant in their hometown – so go visit them and see for yourself. Likewise, you could visit your home friends! Since we can’t enjoy our own college right now, explore what life at another college is like. Of course, all of these adventures should be planned with the pandemic in mind. Some of your travels may not look the same as they typically would, but remember we’re all working together to get through this and everyone is adjusting to the change.

Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus

2. Irreplaceable time with family

Adjusting to living at home after moving away to college is definitely tricky. Remember that your family loves you, is really happy you’re home, and wants to spend time with you (even if they don’t always show it). Watching a sports game with your dad, walking around the block with your mom, chatting over breakfast with your sister – all these experiences are things you may take for granted now, but one day you’ll look back and really miss this time you had with them living under the same roof. Especially as the holiday season rolls around, take the time to appreciate your childhood traditions. Chances are, you won’t be living at home for that many more years, so enjoy it. And remember to be patient with your family in moments of frustration… they’re adjusting to you being home as well. And tbh it’s 2020, who isn’t being patient and flexible?

3. Learning to love yourself

Being home has definitely allowed for a lot of alone time and time to reflect. Take advantage of this by doing the things you’ve never had the time to do before. It could be finding a new hobby, like painting or gardening. Crack open that book you meant to read all summer, re-organize your room to create a fresh environment, collect old clothes to donate to charity. Create time to clear your mind through exercise, whether it’s yoga, spinning, running, dancing. Most importantly, set goals for what you want to achieve and create checkpoints to keep you motivated. Other ideas include choosing some new recipes to bake, reconnecting with an instrument you used to play. It can truly be anything, so pick something, or multiple things, that make you happy and you’ll instantly become a better version of your beautiful self.

4. Saving Money

It’s hard to argue that this situation isn’t extremely beneficial financially. Although we’d all love to be living in dorms or apartments on campus, you’ll be pumped about the room and board fees you’re saving to use in the future! On top of that, think about the expenses of everyday life you’re relishing in at this very moment. Free food, free laundry, free cable, free transportation – there’s a lot of benefits to living at home that you may have never noticed. So appreciate them while you can!

Putting money in a piggy bank
Photo by Damir Spanic from Unsplash

5. Internships or Jobs

If you can fit it in after or before class, take this opportunity to get experience in your field of interest or just make a little extra money! Plenty of employers are currently hiring, especially those that depend on college students for their summer staff. Try Target, Marshall’s, Chipotle, or Dunkin… whatever floats your boat! Better yet, find a job or internship relating to your career path. This semester allows for so many awesome opportunities to get real experience for your future career and will look impressive on a resume too. 

6. Appreciation for the little things

More than ever, I think we’re all learning to appreciate how valuable our health is. In an era where sneezing in the grocery store can cause fellow shoppers to glare, we realize just how lucky we are to be healthy. This can be as simple as having access to nutritious food, clean water, great hospitals – the list could go on and on.  

There’s also an appreciation for college and the lifestyle it allows us to live. We will get back to living on campus, staying up late laughing with friends, trekking to the dining hall for breakfast at noon… these experiences will return, and when they do we will not take them for granted. 

Despite the complete chaos going on in our country right now, there’s still plenty to be thankful for all around you. Whether you choose to walk around the park in the crisp fall air with your parents, or a start a new hobby of journaling about your experiences during these wild times, make the most of what you’ve got and run with it. Your frustrations are valid, but your presence is important. The world is waiting for you and your talents, so show them what you’ve got!

Jessica Shay

U Mass Amherst '23

Jessica Shay is a junior at UMass Amherst and this is her third semester writing for HerCampus. She loves working with kids and plans to become a teacher. When she's not in class, you can find her reading, baking, or teaching spin classes at the Rec Center.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst