This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With lots of colleges and jobs going virtual this year, it can be difficult to separate work from the rest of your life. I often find myself staying up late or getting up early to work on assignments, without a clear start or end to my day. However, one thing that has kept me grounded is solidifying a morning routine that provides me some alone time while preparing for the rest of my day. Here are some easy things to work into a morning routine, whether you have 15 minutes or two hours!

Plan a fun breakfast!

Despite constantly hearing about the benefits of eating breakfast while growing up, eating in the morning, especially when you’re in a rush, can be challenging. However, I like picking out what I’m going to eat for breakfast the night before, as it saves me time and gives me something to look forward to when I wake up. It can be fun to relax and cook your favorite breakfast foods, but if you’re short on time, trying out a new type of toaster waffles or making overnight oats is easy and delicious.

Clean your space.

I know that my desk can get cluttered in 5 minutes, and cleaning is usually the first thing that gets pushed off until later. However, when I do spend a few moments to clean my work area, I feel in a better mindset to get stuff done. Little things like putting away my pens and organizing my space every time I sit down help me feel more productive and ready to focus. 

Move your body!

Especially when sitting in front of a screen all day, it’s easy to wake up feeling sore and tense. A few quick stretches before you start working can improve your posture and help wake you up. If you have some extra time, an easy yoga flow or a video from Yoga With Adriene is guaranteed to have you feeling relaxed and refreshed for the rest of your day.

Journal or make a to-do list.

Before starting my work, I’ve really enjoyed creating a journal page every day with a to-do list and any other notes to myself. Whether you follow a bullet-journaling method or just freestyle it, journaling is a great way to clear some brain space and outline what you need to get done that day. It’s also an easy way to squeeze some creativity into your day with little doodles or fun color schemes.

Do something extra just for you!

It can sometimes feel selfish to take time for yourself, especially when your to-do list is a mile long. However, spending a few minutes every day doing something that just makes you happy will only help your mental health and focus. The options for those little moments of joy are endless; your morning could include trying out a longer skincare routine, cuddling with a pet, lighting some candles, listening to music, or spending some time outside.

Even if you aren’t a morning person, having a routine to look forward to every day guarantees that you can be calm and in control for one part of your day, especially during this crazy time. Everybody’s morning will look totally different—focus on finding whatever works the best for you! It’s always important to take care of yourself, no matter how hectic your schedule may be, and take a few moments to breathe

Katherine Dickey

U Mass Amherst '24

Katherine Dickey is currently an environmental conservation major at UMass and is interested in education, film, and sustainability. Outside of school, Katherine loves playing piano, making vegetarian food, and spending time outside at the beach. She is super excited to be a member of CHAARG, PITCH, and Her Campus at UMass!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst