Wellness

Know Your Worth: The Ultimate Key of Not Allowing Others to Bring You Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are a lot of people out there that just treat you differently and make you feel awful about yourself. Friends, family, colleagues –we’ve all been there. However the one that can change how it all happens is you. You have the power to change how others treat you. Your confidence, energy, and attitude is crucial to how people will treat you. Of course, with all that comes self-love.

woman raising her hands in victory
Tirachard Kumtanom/Pexels

Step One and Only:  Love Yourself

You are precious and you are perfect the way you are. Everyone is always evolving and learning from their mistakes. But those flaws are still you. Respect yourself. Your career, age, money, people’s accomplishments, your grades, social media, tastes and the number of friends you have don’t define who you are. It doesn’t matter what you do with your time or your career as long as it fulfills you. 

woman running up bleacher stairs
Photo by Tyler Nix from Unsplash

Your age is simply a number. That’s all it is. There is no such thing as being too old or too young to want something or do something. You only live life once. It doesn’t factor into your own fulfillment. You are above those standards. The first and foremost things you should care about is yourself and your mental health. 

Other people’s accomplishments, perceptions, and grades shouldn’t matter to you. Your personal happiness and satisfaction should matter more than the negative comparisons. Because you are worth so much more than the minor negativity. Brush it away, because you are destined to be awesome.  

Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash

Your social media following and other people’s opinions on social media have no effect on who you are and your value as a person. They are not above and they are not below you. They have their own lives. You shouldn’t be affected by something that is so miniscule to them and has no value in your life and happiness. 

Three women talking with flowers
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

The number of friends you have? No, it doesn’t compare to your worth. If anything, quality of relationships are more important no matter who they are. Other people are different and unique. They will hold different pieces of your life. Some will be childhood friends, others will be acquaintances, others will be social friends. Some come and go. Some are constant and stay for life. Don’t be too heartbroken because there is a lot coming to your life. 

Photo by Jermaine Ulinwa from Pexels

Love yourself. Know your value and don’t settle for less. You are deserving of more. You should be treated the way you treat others. When others treat you as less and you accept it, you are basically saying you don’t deserve better. Don’t justify their actions, stand up for yourself. You shouldn’t change yourself for other people, nor should you have to deal with bull. If they are judgy and look down on you, they aren’t worth your time. Even if you change yourself, they aren’t going to care. So please before anyone else, know your worth and know you are a person too. Know that your love to yourself is more important than any negativity out there.

Sidrat Siddiqui

U Mass Amherst '22

Sidrat Siddiqui is a senior studying the world of Chemistry. When she isn't studying, you will find her drinking a cuppa matcha, sleeping for inordinate amounts of time, and spending late nights reading books.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst