This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The Great British Baking Show (or TGBBS for short), also known as The Great British Bake Off, is my new Netflix obsession. Although I knew about the show for a while, I didn’t make any effort to sit down and watch it until the pandemic hit and I was in a bit of an entertainment rut. For a competition-based show, it’s surprisingly lighthearted, entertaining, calming, and an absolute treat to watch! With 11 seasons, a rotating cast of amateur bakers, two hilarious MCs, and two witty yet scrutinizing judges, I think anyone can find a part of TGBBS to enjoy.

I think what I like so much about TGBBS is the show’s tone. It lacks the unnecessary drama you can often find on other cooking competition shows. The judges aren’t bringing contestants to tears each episode, the bakers don’t fight with one another, and there isn’t an overwhelming amount of tension regarding who gets voted off each week. Of course, the competition element brings some excitement to the show but everything is rather cheery. The competition takes place in a beautiful countryside location in England. There are many B-roll shots of ducklings, deer, babbling brooks, and pretty wildflowers placed between cuts of the baking. The baking itself takes place in a brightly decorated tent in the middle of this idyllic scenery. From a visual standpoint, the show is calming and cute.

Miranda Almodovar
The baking itself is amazing. The challenges set by the judges offer a lot of room for creativity so it’s really fun to see what kind of concepts the bakers come up with. I have to admit that I usually watch this show with a snack in hand because I know I’ll get hungry if I spend an hour looking at pastries and breads. The flavor combinations and pastry textures always just look so delicious. I’ve always considered myself a big baked-goods fan but this show really taught me a lot of new baking and dessert terminology. Trust me, after watching a few episodes of this show you’ll have some new vocab like ganache and crème pât in your word arsenal.

So much work and cooking science come into play in baking. TGBBS opened my eyes to the behind-the-scenes of how certain pastries, breads, and cakes are made. Timing and ingredient ratios are everything. A bread not proved long enough can be too dense, too much fruit can make a cake soggy, and pastry that’s been in the oven too long can end up dry and brittle. As someone who has only briefly dabbled in baking, I have a lot of respect for good home-bakers and professional bakers. It can be tricky to get the right flavor combinations, but when things are done well, it pays off. I love seeing the bakers improve over the course of the show and it’s so exciting to see them get positive encouragement and validation from the judges.

assorted cookies on a plate
Pixaby/Pexels
One aspect of this show that I really like is its casual nature. It’s not an intense show and there aren’t any cliffhangers. It’s a show I can throw on for my family while we have our tea after Sunday brunch. The comedy bits and the small jokes in each episode make the competition atmosphere brighter. Sometimes there are tough moments for the contestants, and there is some emotion and stress, but everything is well balanced. There is seriousness when the baking is judged, but jokes are thrown around when the show hosts walk around each baker’s workstation.

Although each season and episode have roughly the same structure, I like the consistency. The true surprises and intriguing moments come through in the baking and in the contestants’ personalities. Overall, The Great British Baking Show has a lot of positive and jovial energy. The scenery is calming, the bakers have their unique quirks, and the baked goods are delightful. There is something very satisfying about watching something being made from start to finish. I think that is what makes this show such a joy to watch.

Vera Gold

U Mass Amherst '23

Vera is a senior communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the Facebook Coordinator of her chapter and loves writing about digital media, beauty, and entertainment.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst