danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

I Worked a 9-5 Job All Summer and I Thrived

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The 9-to-5 lifestyle is often one of the things that Millenials and Gen Z fear the most: the boring desk job that doesn’t go beyond staring at a computer screen while you glance at the clock to see how close you are to escaping the office. What I’m happy to say is that my internship experience this summer could never have proved this idea more wrong. In fact, my 9-to-5 job gave me a glimpse of a lifestyle that I could see myself getting used to. Let me tell you why. 

Structured Working Hours are a Blessing

Coming from someone who’s worked as a waitress prior to her 9-to-5, it is a blessing in disguise to have a predetermined schedule and know exactly when you’ll be done with your shift. All through high school and early college I would make plans with friends, anticipating that I’d be out of work at a certain time, when in reality, I’d be stuck at work cleaning up tables because customers lingered after finishing their meals. I was finally able to make plans and stick to them because of the reliable structure.

Work Life Balance is Extremely Prevalent

You would be surprised at how many companies nowadays respect the importance of a work-life balance. They’ve begun to go as far as offering amazing amenities in the workspace because they want you to enjoy your time at work. This in itself completely shatters the image of a boring 9-to-5 desk job. How could you be bored if your company offers complimentary lunches, a staff happy hour, or sends you an invite for a team outing? I’m not saying that every company offers these perks, but it would be worth your time to research those who do!

There Is So Much Time For You to Make For Yourself

This is where so many people have it wrong. While I worked my 9-to-5 job, I felt like I had never had more time to myself in my life. This summer I tried so many different activities that I felt I never had time to do before, like trying new workout classes, reading a book I hadn’t gotten to, or exploring a new part of the city. Going back to my first point, the time structure of a 9-to-5 gives you plenty of control over how you spend your time out of the office. It’s all about how you choose to spend the time that makes all the difference. Not to mention, the weekends become extra special once you begin working a 9-to-5. You’ll understand why. 

If you’ve never worked a 9-to-5 job before I highly recommend giving the experience a try. Like I said previously, be sure you research the company beforehand so that you’re spending 40 hours per week at a place you actually enjoy. It will make all the difference!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Ashley Guertin

U Mass Amherst '21

Ashley is graduate of UMass Amherst, Class of 2021. After joining Her Campus during her sophomore year, Ashley quickly became involved in her chapter as a Content Editor and the Facebook Coordinator. She served as the chapter's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent during her senior year and owes Her Campus for giving her lifelong friends and endless opportunities. You can find Ashley writing about career development, her favorite trends, and her personal experiences that she hopes will help other Her Campus readers navigate their lives.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst