Style > Beauty

I Tried Skin Cycling So You Don’t Have to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Another one of TikTok’s viral skincare trends makes me spend more money at Target, but is this one the end of all my skin problems? 

This summer, the hot topic of skin cycling found my For You page and influenced me to try it out. I am usually skeptical about these trends because they seem to go in and out of style in what feels like a week. Frankly, I have had my fair share of trying skincare tips, tricks, products, and dermatologists. My acne was at the forefront of my mind to get rid of and heal. Dr. Whitney Bowe, dermatologist and creator of skin cycling, found that following these specific steps is the foundation of a perfectly balanced skincare routine.

The basic routine, or what Dr. Bowe calls a ‘classic fortnight cycle’ for beginners, is split up into four days. Day one is ‘Exfoliation’ night which consists of gentle cleansing, dry-patting the face, and using an exfoliant product. Day two is ‘Retinol’ night where instead of exfoliating, you would use the retinol of your choice based on your specific skin needs. Days three and four are deemed ‘Recovery’ nights where you can use a hydrating serum and heavy-duty moisturizer to seal your skin and essentially recover from the prior two days of active skincare.

Her TikTok page is filled with more videos on how to tweak this routine depending on personalized needs and goals. Personally, I have acne-prone, combination skin for which she recommended cutting off the last recovery night. For almost two months now, I have stuck with this night routine consistently and have seen varying results in my skin. My basic face wash is the Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser, which I use every night of the skin cycle. On exfoliation night, I follow up with Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant and La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer. Exfoliation night is my favorite because it gives my skin an instant smoothing glow. As for the retinoid night, I use my prescription Adapalene Gel 0.3% from my dermatologist. The only change in products I make for recovery night is using the La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 instead of my regular moisturizer, which is the holy grail for those pesky forehead bumps.

paulas choice
Dermstore

With these products, I have noticed a definite improvement in the texture of my skin around my eyes, t-zone, and chin. Although my hormonal acne has not cleared entirely to the point of my liking, I certainly have found some products that I will keep in my skincare routine. I enjoyed the discipline of this process but I do not see myself continuing it exactly because my skin has grown very dry and it seems like I may be overdoing it.

Be mindful and listen to your skin! My takeaway from this experiment is to be weary in testing out TikTok skincare trends, in other words, please do your research on who is telling you their opinion! Information overload is very real and it is easy to believe every 30-second recommendation video that comes on your For You page. If you have the opportunity, I suggest talking to a professional for more insight as well!

face mask self care?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Remember that what works for one person, may not work for another and your acne does not define you. It’s always fun to try these trends but healing acne is a journey and you should appreciate yourself every step of the way. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Chloé Massabni

U Mass Amherst '25

Chloé is a third year student majoring in Political Science and Public Health and minoring in Business. She loves sushi, painting, and learning about holistic medicine! She is also a big advocate for awareness and research about mental health, women's health, and food security.