Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media

How to Break Up With Your Childhood Sport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After playing a sport (or two, or three…) throughout childhood and high school, it can be difficult to move on from it. But, my friend, when it’s time, it’s time.

Going from having practices and games more often than not can result in a kind of a shock when it’s all over. It can feel like a big part of your life has suddenly been ripped away. If you still love your sport, there are many different ways you can begin to incorporate it into your life again. Maybe start watching it on TV more (if you don’t already), or make time to watch and support your former team or other friends you may have that still play. Watching games in person can be much more helpful than you think!

If you have the time, consider playing an intramural or club sport! Getting involved in your own sport in a different way than you’re used to can help you to evolve away from your former team, yet continue to grow as an athlete. However, getting involved in a different sport can also help you to potentially develop a new passion and learn new skills. Both of these options are also a great way to connect with others and become a part of a team again. Either way, realize that with your newfound free time, the world is your oyster!

Another way to feel more involved in the community surrounding your sport would be to officiate or coach (and maybe even get paid for it!) Doing this is not only a new way to get involved in games but also a new way to interact with young players. As someone who has helped host many clinics with teams I’ve played with, it was always a fun experience to teach young athletes. While it can definitely be a lot of work, teaching a sport is a fantastic learning experience!

Many burnt-out athletes, I have found, tend to turn to the gym as a rebound from their childhood sport — I am in fact guilty of this. This is a great way to fill in your free time while also finding new ways to test yourself and improve your overall fitness. If you don’t know where to start, try going with a friend, or try out some group fitness classes! Finding a form of physical activity that you enjoy outside of your sport is very important to your health — so even if the gym seems too daunting, getting outside to walk or run is a great place to start.

None of these options feel quite right? That’s okay! Everybody has a different experience with their sport, and giving it up definitely won’t look the same from person to person. Some people may have been in a toxic relationship with their sport, and need to give it up altogether. Others may still be in love and will need to find different ways to fill that void. If you’re not sure yet, try a variety of approaches and find one that makes you happy — I support you and all of your break-up endeavors!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava Cichonski

U Mass Amherst '26

Ava Cichonski is a freshman at UMass Amherst studying nutrition. She loves to work out, crochet, and watch Rick and Morty in her free time.