How to Be Your Own Best Friend: 5 Things to Do With Your Alone Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether your friends aren’t around or you’re just craving a little “me time,” here are a few things to do to treat yourself — you deserve it!

Grab a new book

No matter how long it’s been since you read a book, browsing a local bookstore and picking out a new one is always exciting. Challenge yourself to take a break from your endless academic readings and dive into something that truly interests you on your own time. I recommend checking out #BookTok on TikTok to get some inspiration if you don’t know where to start — that’s where I found some of my favorite summer reads.

Take yourself on a coffee date

As the weather gets cooler, one thing I love is doing homework in a coffee shop and having my own Gilmore Girls moment. I feel like everyone can agree that being productive is so much more fun when you have a change of scenery and a coffee to sip on. Plus, there are so many cute places in the Amherst area to explore, so keep trying until you find your favorite! Even if you aren’t doing homework, you could listen to a podcast, write in a journal, or just people-watch for a while. No matter what you choose as your activity, you can’t go wrong with a solo coffee date.

Give your shower a refresh

Take my word for it — there is nothing better than going to Target and picking out new shower products. Personally, going up and down the aisles and picking out matching shampoos and body scrubs is my definition of a good time. As an added bonus, you’ll feel like a brand-new person when you’re done. There’s nothing better than a clean reset when you’re in a slump.

try a new recipe

If you’re like me, you basically only know how to cook pasta and frozen chicken nuggets. If so, this tip is for you! Call your mom and ask her to send you the recipe for your favorite home-cooked meal, or even look online for a recipe that inspires you. It makes me feel like a real adult to go to the grocery store and thoughtfully choose healthy ingredients to cook something for myself, and it’s fun to practice making new things. Nailing down at least one amazing staple meal that you can recreate for yourself and your friends is a great skill to have, and you can get started any time.

Go for a drive

If you have access to a car, try going for a drive to clear your head. It’s so refreshing to roll down your windows and blast your favorite throwbacks when you need an escape. It’s especially fun this time of year because the leaves are turning, which makes western Massachusetts a beautiful place to explore. You don’t even have to have a destination in mind — just enjoy the peace and quiet of leaving campus for a few hours. (Bonus points if you have a solo karaoke session!)

autumn leaves on a dirt road
Natalie Szewczyk

Making the most of your time alone is hard, but with these tips, you’ll find ways to become your own best friend and value the time you spend alone.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Victoria Enis

U Mass Amherst '24

Victoria is a junior marketing major at UMass Amherst.