halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Avoid Dorm Room Depression This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

New England’s cold weather + shoebox-sized living space = NOT FUN! Here are some tips and tricks I have collected to help make life in the dorms easier when seasonal depression can kick in at any second.

WAKE up WHEN THE SUN WAKES UP

The nights get colder and longer, the days get shorter, and I feel like I have even less time to accomplish everything I want to do without hitting that afternoon slump. The reality is that I usually remain in that slump until it is time to go to bed. While it may be hard at first, especially when it gets to be 32 ºF out, taking advantage of the early sun can help you feel like you are beating the short days and get everything you want to do over and done with before the sun sets. While this can be a year-round ritual for some people, I find it especially helpful in the wintertime to get the most Vitamin D that New England weather will allow for, no matter the UV index. Sidenote: you grow to love that first breath of brisk air in the morning.

Clear space = Clear(ish) mind

Now, I know you probably have heard this one before but most people overlook the effectiveness of keeping their room tidy during the colder months. This time of the school year always picks up quickly and it may seem like every week is slipping through your fingers. It’s important not to neglect the 13 x 13 ft space you come back to after a long day. Make your bed right when you wake up so you don’t feel like sleeping in it all day! Put up some holiday decor to feel more present in the seasonal months! Keep up a weekly cleaning schedule and reward yourself with a Halloween movie night!  Your room may be small, but it is the center of your life on campus.

Vitamins! Vitamins! Vitamins!

The colder weather likes to bring a basket of goodies every year, one of them being the all-time favorite, cold and flu symptoms! Trust me when I say, staying on top of your health is vital when avoiding an emotional spiral during the colder months. As mentioned earlier, getting the recommended dose of Vitamin D is challenging with the lack of sunshine. It was found that Vitamin D deficiency may have relevance to seasonal depression. According to this clinical trial, a supplement of Vitamin D improved treatment! Also, Zinc and Vitamin C are great for fighting those cold and flu symptoms. Try to incorporate these vitamins by either taking a supplement or, preferably, in the types of food you eat. 

avoid hibernation

Try to keep yourself from hibernating back in your bed after class. I personally try to stay out on campus all day, doing homework in the library or Campus Center, to change up the pace. We all have our lazy days, so recently I’ve been loving taking refuge in my friends’ dorms to do homework. My roommate and I have also been trying to plan around two fun, off-campus activities during the week to keep us out of our room and to have something to look forward to besides the weekend. Definitely try exploring downtown, taking a walk, or just getting late-night to spice up your routine.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Talk To A Professional 

While these tips have helped me and some of my friends, it’s important to talk to your RA, the counseling center, or a therapist if you are struggling. There are many resources and individuals on campus that want to help you. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them!

Dorm rooms are like a fun sleepaway camp with your best friends…until they’re not. Try to make the most of your experience and stay healthy this fall! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Chloé Massabni

U Mass Amherst '25

Chloé is a third year student majoring in Political Science and Public Health and minoring in Business. She loves sushi, painting, and learning about holistic medicine! She is also a big advocate for awareness and research about mental health, women's health, and food security.