This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The future is female.

As we look throughout history, women have been neglected, torn down, and disapproved by members of society. As time has gone on, women have began to stand up for what they believe is right. We have started a movement.

There are an endless number of reasons why women are so powerful, but in this article, I want to show you how to take advantage of that power and be who you truly are!

Women are STRONG and although we have been through so much, nobody has ever given up on fighting for the equal rights we deserve. That glass ceiling? Girl, break it. Being told you fight “like a girl”? Girl, keep fighting. It looks good on you. You’re being called vulgar names because you’re dressed too “inappropriately”? It’s a fashion statement… get WITH it. There are so many prejudices against women that we must fight against and never look back on. We need to grab all of these preconceived notions and take advantage of them. Our experiences define who we are and there is no fault in any of them. 

Being a women already says so much about us. Women are hard workers. Just because a man may have gotten the job before we did, the raise, the internship, doesn’t mean we are any less qualified than they are.

If you are looking for a reason to smile, smile because you are a women. We have so much to offer the world. Women today have done so many amazing things that women of the past may not have been able to do. We can run for president, we can vote, we can become some of the world’s most crucial political leaders, we can lead movements inspiring others around us, and so much more. There are endless possibilities for what we can do, and we must fight for the women of the past who have already paved the way for us. 

The next time you are searching for a job, going for an interview, etc., do not let your gender define anything about you. Walk into that room, shake that interviewers hand with the utmost confidence that any women should have. 

The next time you look in the mirror, tell yourself you are beautiful and walk outside with a bigger smile on your face than you ever knew possible. People will love your energy, and the right energy will gravitate back towards you. Insecure about an outfit because you’re afraid of judgement? Wear it girl, I already know you look amazing.

In 2019, we can look back and laugh at those who felt women were powerless figures with nothing to give but their bodies. We are unique, independent and one part of a large whole. We are WOMEN. Like I said, the future is female. But so is the present. And never forget it.

P.S. International Women’s Day is March 8th, so grab some of your besties and celebrate who you are. We all deserve it!

Images:  12

Victoria Tustin

U Mass Amherst '22

Tory is a senior here at UMass Amherst. She is currently a Journalism major with a Spanish minor, and has a passion for writing just about anything!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst