This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For many of us, there comes that exciting time in our life when we finally say our goodbye to the wonderful, but restricting life, of residential dorms and hello to the sweet freedom of off-campus living. As thrilling as this upgrade is, there are some aspects of this independent lifestyle that can be daunting for many people. Here are some tips on how to prepare for a smoother transition when you’re moving off-campus!

1. Master the Bus System

If you are planning on living off-campus in a house or apartment, you will be likely need to take a bus A LOT. That being said, it is important to learn the ropes early on so that you feel comfortable navigating campus. You don’t want to be the girl who boards the wrong bus and ends up three towns away from campus. Make sure you learn how to properly look up bus numbers and times so you get to where you need to go correctly and promptly. If you have access to a car you can drive to school as well! Keep in mind, though, that you will need to pay for parking, so utilizing the free bus system may be a better option for some.

2. Budget for Food

Unlike the unlimited dining hall meal plan that allows you to consume as much food as you desire after paying a one time fee, moving off-campus means you will need to learn how to budget your money so that you do not overspend on food. My recommendation is to set a small amount aside for food each week, maybe $50, and shop for groceries more frequently so that you do not over purchase food and waste money on expired food. Also, pay attention to how often you are eating out at restaurants or ordering food. College towns are packed with so many delicious restaurants and it can be difficult to resist, so set limits to the amount of times per week you can eat out and don’t overspend on your budget.

3. Meal Prep

With the busy schedule of a college student, meal prepping can be a great way to maintain your health and ration out your food for the week. Turn your Sundays into a fun day of cooking with your roommates; put on some music, laugh with your friends, and prepare your meals for the week so you don’t have to spend the time later on! Especially if your classes leave you stuck on campus for the entire day, meal prepping can allow you to wake up in the morning and grab your lunch to go so you can be well nourished and happy throughout the day. Let’s be real; by the time you get home from a long day of classes and studying, often times you just don’t have the energy to cook dinner. Arrive home to an already made dinner so you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy your evening!

4. Foster a Good Work Environment

Creating a productive work environment in your off-campus living space is super important for supporting solid study habits. When you live on campus, you’re within walking distance of many study places, such as your common room, the library, and small cafes. Once you move off-campus, you may not want to commute to the campus every time you have an assignment or need to study. I recommend having a desk in your room away from distractions. Keep this area clear of any electronics, magazines, or objects that may distract you from what you need to get done.

5. Create Traditions

Finally, remember to enjoy yourself! This is such a fun time in your life as you transition into adulthood and become more independent. For many of you, this is probably your first home or apartment, so enjoy making it your own! Decorate it in a way that brings a smile to your face every day and cultivate traditions which will make your off-campus experience memorable. For instance, movie nights, “family dinners” with your roommates, and weekly self-care days are all ways you can make these years living off-campus unique and enjoyable for you!

Photos: 1, 2, 34

Erica Dougherty

U Mass Amherst '21

Erica is a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is an Operations and Information Management major in the Isenberg School of Management and she enjoys utilizing Her Campus as a creative outlet for her more artistic side. Erica loves spending time with friends, watching movies, and eating ice cream!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst