photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How to Become a Productive Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going to a large university with huge lectures can make it very tempting to skip class, especially in the morning. I started out my freshman year struggling to get out of bed for my 10 a.m. across campus because, as we all know, being a college student means you are ALWAYS tired.

The summer after my freshman year, I decided I wanted to become more of a morning person. Waking up early on a warm summer day and sitting outside with my dog to enjoy my breakfast became something I did every day and loved. I started enjoying my mornings more, and actually went to bed looking forward to them. The habits I created for myself carried over into my sophomore year school-year. Here’s how I changed my mindset, and became a morning person:

1. Create a Pleasant Morning Routine

Creating a morning routine that you enjoy and look forward to will make it so much easier to get yourself out of bed. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so using this as an incentive to get myself up in the morning worked for me. Now that I’m at school, instead of making time to be able to make myself a delicious breakfast and sit outside, I give myself enough time to be able to sit and enjoy my dining hall breakfast (which I can’t really complain about because UMass is #1 dining).

For you, maybe you love doing makeup or hair, working out, or just watching youtube videos. Whatever it is you like, give yourself some time to do it in the morning. If you love doing your makeup, make it a priority! Starting out your day with something you love and that makes you feel good will motivate you to get out of bed and start your day! Keep in mind that you should pick something that’s easy enough for you to stick to every day. It could be something as simple as stretching, doing some yoga, or listening to your favorite band. 

2. Let the Sunlight be Your Alarm Clock

Being exposed to natural light in the morning is the healthiest way to wake yourself up. Try and sleep with your shades open, or buy lighter curtains that let the sun shine through. Think of the sun as a relaxing “alarm clock”.  Before technology, how do you think people knew when to wake up and when to fall asleep? Along with exposing yourself to natural light in the morning, you should avoid phone screens as well.

3. Drink More Water

If you find yourself feeling groggy more mornings than not, make sure you are drinking enough water. Since we’re not consuming water while we’re sleeping, make sure you are extra hydrated throughout the day. Dehydration can lead to that feeling of grogginess when you wake up.

4. Create a Relaxing Night Routine

Prioritize your night-time routine. Try and make going to bed the most relaxing experience as possible. Falling asleep earlier means waking up earlier. When it’s finals week or a stressful time in my life, I feel as though the second my head hits the pillow, my mind starts racing. To combat this, when I get in bed I write down a few reachable goals for the next day. This helps reduce my stress, leading to being able to fall asleep easier. Something else I like to do before bed is draw or read a book. Try your best to make your night routine a “screen-free” experience. The blue light from your phone screen reduces melatonin levels in your body, making it hard to fall asleep. Another way to help fall asleep is to buy a pillow mist, or spray your pillow with a scent that calms you. The more relaxing your nights are, the easier you will fall asleep, and the easier you will wake up.

Making slow, small changes in your lifestyle is what will create long-lasting habits. Whether you follow some of my tips, or just make it a goal to stop snoozing your alarm, you will see results if you just stick to it!

Photos: 1,2,3 

Madison Bethune

U Mass Amherst '21

Madison is a sophomore at Umass Amherst majoring in Nutrition and Journalism. Some of her interests include health and wellness, art and photography, and she loves going to the beach and spending time with friends. Feel free to follow her Instagram @maddybethune_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst