This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the Northeast retreats inside for a winter of increased isolation, crafting a warm, inviting, comfortable, and atmospheric home is essential. Many envision redesigning a space to be near impossible due to the processes’ overwhelming and expensive nature. However, when done strategically, interior design can be inoffensive to your wallet and can even be extremely enjoyable through acting as a productive and gratifying hobby. Here are some simple tips to revise your space in an attainable and creative way. 

Plan Ahead 

Designing a home, room, or any space on a budget can be overwhelming, but the ultimate tip to reducing this stress is to plan ahead. Depending on one’s budget, resources, and overall situation, the process of planning for an interior redesign may vary. Discovering free or affordable items on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, eBay, or even tossed on the side of the road requires a lot of patience and energy. However, this thrifty method can be extremely rewarding as you compile unique items ranging from a headboard to mirrors to fun bowls and decor. Keep in mind how to safely pick up finds from these places; make sure to always go with someone else on a Craigslist run, and share your plan and location with others! Additionally, take precautions to avoid bed bugs by staying away from mattresses, cushions, and thick bedding if possible.  

Plants

Not only do houseplants bring a lot of color, texture, and literal life to a home, they also are beneficial to your health by decreasing fatigue, reducing stress, and improving air quality. Plants can be arranged in a wide variety of ways in order to add dimension to any room. Position them high up on shelves or refrigerators, wind them around a bed frame, or place humidity-loving plants in the bathroom to liven up your showers.  

Paint 

Color adds a critical layer to any interior and paint is a simple and fun way to add this dimension to your space. Surf magazines and Pinterest, or go with your gut, to find a color palette that pleases your eye. For some, whites and muted tones work best, while others prefer richer jewel or earth tones in their living space. Be imaginative and patient while painting. Perhaps paint just one wall or create a graphic design that brings an element of artwork into a room. If you are unable to paint permanent features such as walls or kitchen cabinets, consider painting furniture or investing in some wallpaper to tie your space together. 

Lighting & Mirrors 

Lighting is so important in order to effortlessly control the overall mood of your home. From classic twinkle lights, candles, and LEDs to colored light bulbs, fun-shaped lights, and projector lighting; there are endless possibilities when it comes to innovative lighting. Mirrors are also an incredible way to multiply the natural light that enters a room and help to enlarge an area by creating a successful illusion. While mirrors can be expensive at times, they are relatively easy to find at secondhand retailers. Lighting and mirrors are critical in helping to add depth to a room which is essential to forming a balanced space.

Texture 

Textures in the form of rugs, pillows, throw blankets, and desk cushions can be pricey at times but are so worth it. Diversify the texture in your home in order to optimize comfort and add an element of complexity to your space. Layering lots of blankets, adding eye-catching curtains, and playing around with fabric wall decor are just some ways to bolster texture throughout your space. 

Aromas & Comfort

The smell and atmosphere of an interior are vital to transforming a new place into a genuine home. Light candles, breathe in some essential oils, and invest in a humidifier in order to make your home feel cozy, especially as the winter approaches. 

During remote learning, constructing a functional and warm living space is vital to maintaining productivity and preserving both mental and physical health. Whether you are stuck in your childhood bedroom or are planning to transition to a new place to live, reimagining a space does not have to be a complex process that ends with lots of unfinished DIY projects. Take your time with crafting a reframed version of “home”—whatever that means for you and your style—and learn to embrace this infinitely rewarding process.

Honor, Editor-in-Chief of UMass Amherst HC, is a senior honors student majoring in public health and psychology, with a minor in business. In her free time, she loves to explore the outdoors on walks with her dog, listen to music and podcasts, and experiment with new recipes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst