This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So, you’ve decided to start eating healthy. Congratulations! And maybe you’re exercising too. Great! But are you drinking healthy?

Now, you’re probably wondering, “What in the world is she implying? Yeah, I mean, maybe I party a little too much…” No, no, no! That’s another story. I’m talking about drinking for your health. Are you staying hydrated? Being well-hydrated is vital to having a well-functioning body. But now you’re thinking, “I don’t really like water…” What!? I’m never without a water bottle so that’s crazy to me, but something that can help is GREEN TEA! And that’s what my article’s actually about: the benefits of drinking green tea.

I’ve recently become infatuated with green tea. Since I started drinking tea, I liked green tea, but I’ve always favored black tea over green tea. No longer!

As Stacey says,

Noticeably, it’s getting warmer, so I’ve halted my consumption of hot tea, but cold green tea is just as great! All you do is fill a cup, mug, mason jar, etc. with lukewarm water, sift the tea bag through the water for about 15 seconds, then leave the bag in the container until it steeps.

Also, remember, decaffeinated green tea tastes exactly the same as caffeinated.

The taste is a little harsh at first (I got used to it eventually), but in the meantime you can add a little sugar or honey. But not too much, because that counteracts the health benefits.

Here are some of the benefits of drinking green tea, hot or cold. 

Green Tea Improves Brain Function

• Green Tea contains the amino acid L-Theanine
  • This acid has anti-anxiety effects
  • Source: 1

Green Tea Increases Fat Burning

• Green Tea boosts your metabolic rate
  • Studies show that green tea increases fat oxidation by 17%
  • Source: 1

May Lower Your Risk of Various Types of Cancer

• Antioxidants have a positive effect on the treatment of cancer and green tea is filled with antioxidants
  • Lowers Risk of: Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, and Colorectal Cancer
  • Don’t put milk in your tea as this reduces the value of the antioxidants
  • Sources:1,2,3   

Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease

• Green Tea has catechin compounds
  • Studies in test tubes and on lab mice have shown that these compounds protect some neurons, lowering the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease
  • Sources: 1

Protects Your Teeth

• Remember, tea does stain your teeth, so maybe drink it through a straw
  • Catechins stunt the growth of bacteria that grows on your teeth
  • Also they help with bad breath
  • Sources: 1

Lowers Risk of Type II Diabetes

• Green Tea improves insulin sensitivity and and reduces blood sugar levels
  • Sources: 1

Recently, I bought St. Ives” Green Tea Scrub. It’s supposed to clear blackheads and reduce redness and it’s worked pretty well so far! It seems to work wonders inside and out.

So, my concluding statement is…

Green tea basically makes you immortal.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst