This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Your days of living off Ramen Noodles and Easy Mac are over! It’s time to start stocking your dorm in Washington Hall or your apartment in Pufton with more nutritious and delicious snacks to help fuel you through those long days of classes and long nights of studying. Not only are these snacks good for your waistline, they’re good for your brain, helping to improve academic performance.  Stock up on these items and start off on the right foot this Fall…

Hummus

Made from chickpeas, oil, and spices, this delicious Middle-Eastern staple functions as a high-protein dip or spread for a variety of foods. Pair ¼ cup hummus with whole wheat crackers, pita chips, or pretzels for a satisfying snack, or use it as a dip for raw, chopped vegetables, such as broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, celery, and red bell peppers.

Fruits and Veggies

Keeping fresh fruits and vegetables on hand means that you’ll be more likely to reach for these over unhealthier snacks like candy, chips, and cookies. Choosing fruits and veggies for snacks will help keep you satisfied, curb cravings for high-sugar and high-fat foods, improve your energy and mood, avoid the 2pm crash, and manage weight control. Foods like apples, bananas, oranges,  celery sticks, carrot sticks, raw broccoli, red bell pepper strips, cucumbers, and grape tomatoes can often be found in the salad bar of the dining commons (so you save money!) and others like berries, snap peas, sliced pineapple, grapes, and raw cauliflower can be purchased at a local grocery store. These will give you the same “crisp” as chips, leaving you feeling just as satisfied!

If you’re still missing the crunchy mouthfeel, try kale chips or sweet potato chips, which have been seasoned and baked to a crisp, giving you a healthier, delicious alternative to potato chips!

Nut butter/ Nuts

No need to fear the fat in nuts! The unsaturated fats they contain are a necessary part of the diet and provide benefits for the heart, brain, hair, and skin. Spread nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, etc) on whole wheat crackers or pair with bananas, apples, or other fruit for a balanced snack, or snack on raw nuts themselves. Just be sure to buy nut butters without hydrogenated oils and added sugar to avoid unhealthy trans-fats and excess sugar.

If you’re allergic to nuts, try sunflower seed butter; it has a taste and consistency similar to that of peanut butter!

Instant Oatmeal

Perfect for breakfast or snacking, oatmeal is a stick-to-your-ribs food that will provide you with energy to last all day thanks to its high amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber. Make oatmeal in the microwave mixed with water or milk and add dried fruit, chopped nuts, a Tbsp of nut butter, or a scoop of protein powder for a healthy meal that will keep you full and focused!

Greek Yogurt

With double the protein and almost half the sugar of regular yogurt and a dose of good-for-your-gut probiotics, Greek yogurt is the perfect healthy snack to keep stocked in your fridge. Opt for the plain over flavored varieties to cut down on added sugars. Mix with berries, nuts, or low-sugar cereal or granola for a protein-packed punch to your day!

Larabars/Quest Bars

If you need something on-the-go, bars are a great alternative to real food. Unfortunately, most are loaded with added sugar and chemicals, making them more like glorified candy bars than actually nutritious snacks. Try Larabars, which are made exclusively from dates, fruit, nuts, and spices or Quest bars if you’re looking for more protein. This way you’ll get all of the nutrients and none of the additives!

Dried Fruit

If you don’t have a fridge to store fresh fruits, dried fruit is an excellent option and provides you with a quick burst of energy, making it a great pre-workout snack as well. Look for no-sugar-added brands and keep portions small as it is high in sugar.

Microwave Popcorn

Yes, the college staple is actually healthy for you! Provided that you leave off the butter and salt, of course! A cup of plain popcorn will only run you 31 calories, while adding some fiber and whole grains to your diet.

Dark Chocolate

Now you’ve stocked your fridge with healthy snacks, but what do you do when the chocolate cravings strike or the stress of exams has you reaching for sweets? While it’s fine to indulge yourself once in a while, if you’d rather keep to a healthy diet, try a handful of cocoa-roasted almonds or a square or two of (at least) 70% cacao dark chocolate. It’s a good for you treat that will satisfy any raging sweet tooth!

Happy Snacking, collegiettes™!

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.