diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gorgeous Eyes: The Ultimate Eye Makeup Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Eye make-up can make or break you. There is a big difference between done-up makeup that is classy rather than trashy. There is nothing worse than a girl who has gorgeous eyes and completely ruins it by doing the simplest makeup mistakes that can easily be avoided.

For starters, eye shadow should not be crazy colors like purple, bright blue, or bright green. For eye shadow, you should stick with the neutral types of colors.

For a natural look, you should do a white/cream shade up against the brow bone, a tan gold on the lid, and a somewhat dark shade of brown for the outer part of your bottom eyelid.

For a going-out type of look, you should do the same with the cream near the eyebrows (it helps accentuate your brow bone and makes your eyes look bigger), a light gray on the lid, and than a dark gray or even a black on the outer eye lid. This creates a smokey eye, but not too smokey and dark that it looks like you’re coming out of a horror film.

The next factor is eyeliner. This is where many girls tend to think the more the better, but the less you wear is actually what will bring out your eye color and make your eyes pop.

The first and most important rule of eyeliner for all girls is that you should never put it on the actual inside of your lid on the bottom. Many girls continue to do this even though it tends to smudge, look messy, and make you look like your eyes are microscopic. Instead, you should do the eyeliner directly underneath the eye right onto the skin, and only draw the line about three fourths of the length of your eye (starting from the outer side of your eye).

You should also do the same on the top lid of your eye. By not covering your entire eye of eyeliner, it makes the size of your eyes look bigger and also make you look more natural. I recommend brown eyeliner for girls when you are trying to go for a natural look, and black eyeliner when you’re getting ready for a big night out!

Mascara – many girls adore mascara and like myself, I do not think I could live without mascara. Mascara is basically the “icing on the cake” and helps complete the perfect eye look. I have two basic tips for this.

First, when applying mascara, do it straight up and do NOT push your eyelashes sideways. Also, do not apply so much mascara that it gets the “spider-leg” effect; clumpy, thick eyelashes look trashy. Thin eyelashes that have length and a bit of volume look more natural and more beautiful. I use L’Oreal Telescopic mascara because it gives dramatic length, and then I lightly go over this with Maybelline Colossal to add some volume. Oh, and lastly on the mascara, try to not overdo mascara on the bottom lashes.

Lastly, the eyebrow. In my day, I have seen girls who think the darker the eyebrow, the better, but that is not exactly the case. Whether you are blonde, brunette, have black hair or a red, it is always a good idea to add a bit of a darker shade to your eyebrow, but try to do it so lightly that it is not a dramatic change. What I do is just use a brown eyeliner pencil and lightly shade my eyebrows. It helps fix the shape of them without looking fake. There is nothing worse than a girl who looks like she draws on fake eyebrows every day. Try and keep it as natural looking as you can, but a little darker to help accentuate the shape to help your eyes glow is never a bad thing!

I hope you all try out these tips, I guarantee that your eyes will pop and you will shine!

My name is Abbey Miller. I am a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and my major is Communications. My favorite things in life are my family, my friends, my education, makeup, shopping, and Taco Bell.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst