matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Get Informed! Here Are the 3 Media Outlets You Should Be Following About the Climate Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The term ‘climate emergency’ had just recently surfaced news all around the globe. Over the past several decades of technological development and fast-growing consumerism, when did we go from ‘climate change’ to ‘climate emergency’? In a study issued in the academic journal Bioscience, titled “World Scientists’ Warning of a Climate Emergency”, 11,000 scientists from 153 countries discussed how human activities have negatively impacted our climate and the ways in which governments need to take action against this problem that *will* continuously affect us. This brought about the change to ‘climate emergency,’ as action needs to be taken now to mitigate any further potential spiraling loss to our climate and biodiversity.

As I was looking at online news sites to learn more about everything climate and its science, my knowledge about what was “really happening” was slim in comparison to what I learned with just a few clicks on my computer screen. Online and offline media sources are what deliver us to all kinds of news, however, it’s the credibility, validity, and trustworthiness of the reporter and their news company that should be taken into more consideration. Social media can be a great source for getting news out there fast, but with an important issue like the ‘climate emergency’, it is also important to look to other media outlets to understand what is happening so one can be an active citizen. Instigating new policies and consumption practices can help us fight against quick and unhelpful news so that we can actually start to make a difference. 

Climate news can be accessible in many media outlets, but here are some news media outlets that I follow to keep up to date:

The New York Times

From my personal experience with reading articles from The New York Times, the information is easily accessible on their main website, through their online subscriptions, and other ways such as their newsletter and news podcast and radio show. In my opinion, it is one of the most influential newspapers in the U.S. and does a great job covering the environmental part of climate. It’s clear, concise, and gives important facts and information, delivering the message accurately.

Here is an interesting article about the relationship between cars and the environment. 

If you’re a student at UMass Amherst, you’re able to get a NYT Academic Pass by signing up with your UMass email address. As a subscriber, I often receive weekend updates or certain days of the week updates on pressing news.

See UMass Amherst Libraries for special instructions about your subscription.

Climate Central

Climate Central gives both research and reports as educational tools to talk about the science that goes along with the impacts of climate change. While the environmental and statistical education aspect is there, it does well in covering a variety of topics such as energy, trees, air quality, warming temperatures, etc. It’s insightful to read and includes up-to-date information.

Here is an interesting article on how trees can help against fighting floodwaters.  

Terrestrial (Kuow)

Terrestrial podcast host, Ashley Ahearn, gives insight into her travels, presenting people’s stories on their personal choices in life when they started to face the effects of climate change and how it impacted their life. I enjoy this podcast because it brings real-life climate change experiences, that, sometimes only a handful of people would completely understand and know about, to a wider audience. It’s interesting to hear people’s stories, and you may even realize you have gone through similar challenges in ongoing climate change. 

Here is an interesting podcast about giving up flying and how that may affect you and the environment. 

It’s difficult and heart-breaking to hear news on how climate change is affecting people, land, oceans, and ecosystems worldwide. Don’t finishing an article on the ‘climate emergency’  be just that: the end. Instead, listen to what the newscasters and reporters have shown and spoke adamantly about — what scientists have asked for and communicated about. These issues are finally getting noticed and deserve more and more attention each day. Salvation will come when hope and action is there — we must, first, understand what is happening to grasp this hope and action.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Alyssa Mahoney

U Mass Amherst '20

Alyssa is in her senior year at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and is so excited to graduate in May of 2020! She has been a communication major for two years and is also pursuing a minor in psychology. She is both the Facebook Director and a content editor for the UMass chapter of HC and loves to read everyone’s articles. Her personal favorite things include everything about the fall season, going on a good run, binge watching The Office, and writing in general! If you’re interested in being motivated and ways to think and act more sustainable, then you can expect Alyssa to cover those topics. Feel free to follow her Instagram! @lissy818
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst