5 Tips for Finding a Work-Life Balance After Remote Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It has been a turbulent year and a half, to say the least. Although I couldn’t be more excited to be back on campus this fall, the transition has not been easy. After an entire year at home, during which the lines between school, work, and social life were constantly blurred, it can be hard to find a balance. Below are five tips for how you can maximize productivity, avoid burnout, and make the most of your time on campus this fall. 

Avoid studying in your dorm

Let your room serve as a place for sleep, relaxation, and downtime. By committing yourself to do most of your studying in alternative settings around campus, you will not only be more productive but will also establish clear boundaries between school and time devoted to rest. Unlike last year, in which we had no choice but to work, eat, sleep, and exercise from our rooms, we can now discover new places around campus to focus. There is the perfect study spot for everyone, whether you like the peace and quiet of South College, the natural light in the Design Building, the cozy atmosphere of your favorite floor of the library, the newly renovated Student Union, or simply getting some fresh air while studying outside. 

Schedule time for things you look forward to doing

Google Calendar isn’t just for classes. Just as you would schedule your classes and exams, you can utilize your phone to book time for things you enjoy outside of school. This could be taking fitness classes at the Rec Center, enjoying a long meal with friends, baking, going hiking, reading a book, and so much more. By being organized, you will decrease stress, avoid burnout, and reap the most benefits from your time away from work. 

Get dressed up for class
Clueless
Paramount Pictures

After having no excuse to leave the house as the pandemic raged, it can now be fun to get ready for class in the morning once again. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to wear comfortable clothes to class, I find that wearing a cute outfit leaves me feeling more confident, alert, and excited to take on the day. Just as doing work away from my dorm signals to my brain that it is time to be productive, by simply putting a little extra care into getting dressed, I automatically set myself up for learning when I leave the house. 

Spend time outside 

October is finally here, and I couldn’t be more excited to enjoy the crisp fall air and the changing leaves. A huge part of finding a work-life balance is finding ways to destress, and I am a firm believer that spending time outside is one of the easiest and most effective ways to do so. Hiking, going for a run, or simply sitting outside are all great ways to support creativity, executive functioning, and personal well-being.

Develop a routine 

It has taken me about a month to get into a routine with my school, work, and personal life. However, finding a routine that works for you is a great way to ease anxiety, improve your sleep schedule, manage your time, and enhance productivity. Just as it’s important to schedule time for things you enjoy, it is equally important to make time for less exciting tasks such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Knowing what needs to be done, how long you expect it to take, and when you plan to do it are key to creating an effective routine that meets your daily needs. 

Now that you are finally organized, put on that new fall sweater you have been waiting to wear, enjoy a warm apple cider donut or pumpkin spiced latte, and return rested, recharged, and ready to tackle your most difficult assignments. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Jayden Whittaker

U Mass Amherst '23

Jayden is a senior majoring in political science as well as a member of the Commonwealth Honors College at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about international relations, foreign policy, and protecting the environment. In her free time, Jayden enjoys hanging out with friends, spending time outside, and working out at the Rec Center.