Culture > News

Finding the Silver Lining: 5 Good Things That Have Come Out of the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Though the spread of COVID-19 has infected thousands and has affected daily life as we know it – nationwide lockdowns, business closures, and the self-isolation terms put in place – there are some positive effects that have emerged in this trying time.

We are polluting less

With only essential businesses being open and a large majority of the population working from home, pollution emissions are lower than ever. Without the daily commutes to work, congestion of traffic in and out of cities, or idling of cars, carbon emissions have dropped immensely (however, this won’t last unless we convert sources to green energy, but it’s a start). Additionally, air pollution has cleared up in many parts of the world, the most drastic change being seen in India, which has some of the most polluted air in the world – which is now showing clear blue skies, for the first time in decades. Furthermore, the Venice canals are clear also for the first time in years, without the constant day in and day out use of boats on the water.

We are communicating more

Because many people are sheltering in place and have not been able to see their loved ones, there has been a surge in phone call volume as people crave hearing the voices of the people that they’re missing. For years, as the use of text messaging was on the rise, phone call usage declined. However, now that many people are not allowed to see each other face to face, hearing their voices over phone calls has been preferred over text messaging and allows the communication to be more personal. Additionally, video chatting apps such as Duo and Houseparty have seen a noticeable increase in use, as people have also begun video chatting since they’re not able to visit in person. While self quarantining does place a strain on seeing our friends and family in person, society has utilized the tools available to them to maintain their connections through our technology and social media platforms.

Families are spending more time together (that they may not have had in the first place)

While some families are able to spend family time together at least once a day or during most weekends, many families are not usually able to spend a lot of time together. Whether it’s because both parents are working, younger children are at school or older children have moved off to college, self-isolating in the home has permitted families to stop the hecticness of their lives and spend a large amount of quality time together that wouldn’t have permitted itself otherwise without this unique situation we find ourselves in. Although many adults may be worrying about being out of a job or having to work from home, a lot of children growing up will fondly remember this time as a time they got to spend with their parents (who are able to stay home) at home and them all getting the chance to bond and spend that rare time together.

Businesses are working together

Many large name businesses and brands (such as Louis Vuitton, Adidas, New Balance, and more) have stopped their production and focused on making masks for healthcare workers, and general use masks for the public.

Communities are coming together

Despite many of us being self-isolated, as the viral trend has spread throughout the internet, we are ‘alone together’. Videos have gone viral of different communities singing on balconies or in cities together, towns hosting easter drive by parades or treasure hunts for the children around town – showing that although we are apart, we will get through this together.

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst