Wellness

Feeling Burned Out at 22 and How to Rekindle Your Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

22 is such a weird age. Some people who didn’t go down the college route after high school are in their 4th year of being in the workforce, those who did choose to get more schooling are now scrambling to find a career they’ll love and puts their degree to good use, some people are just straight chilling at home, and others are full-blown adulting with children and spouses of their own. I decided to go to college so I could earn a degree and open a few more doors for myself career-wise but—I won’t lie—four extra years of schooling on top of grades k-12 have seriously taken a toll on me. Many students who are in a similar position as me would all probably agree that we feel burned out which is kind of bizarre because we’re literally still semi-kids ourselves. Our lives have barely begun, yet, exams, homework, studying, side jobs, extracurriculars, and everything in between have sucked the souls from us and it low-key feels like we’re dead (wo)men walking.

So, how do we bounce back and finish off the last year of college strong? Do we drink unholy amounts of coffee? Do we slap a smile on our faces and fake it till we make it? A combination of both? Take a breath because I’ve got you covered. Here are some tips and tricks I have personally used to slowly rebuild the fire inside me that keeps me going. 

USE. A. PLANNER. 

Notice that I didn’t say “get” a planner. I have purchased a planner every single school year since 5th grade but that didn’t necessarily mean I used it every year. If you have a planner sitting in your desk drawer and it’s been untouched since the day you bought it, open that bad boy up and organize the crap out of your life. Write down your homework assignments and other small tasks in the daily section and jot down your long-term things like exams and job interviews in the monthly sections. This helps you to see exactly what you need to do and when you need to do it by. It may seem overwhelming at first, but I promise it helps you take back control over your life and it lets you see the progress you’re making as you cross off each item as you finish it. Seeing yourself accomplish the very things you thought were dragging you down is a major way to refresh your confidence and motivation to get ish done. 

white ceramic mug with coffee on top of a bullet journal
Estée Janssens

Believe That You’re Doing Just Fine 

This one is definitely easier said than done and it took me forever to really believe in it myself. But, if you remind yourself everyday that there are literally thousands (if not millions) of other people in the same exact boat as you, it’ll help calm your nerves and reset your mind to help you focus only on what you need to do to succeed. Comparing yourself to others that are “doing more” than you is a sure fire way to feel burned out and give up on all of the hard work you’ve put into accomplishing your goals. 

Unsplash

Talk to a Professional 

Just hearing the phrase “use your words” makes me want to roll my eyes, but talking out your problems and feelings can actually be super beneficial to your mental health. One of my psychology professors goes around to a couple of students in class every morning before the lecture starts and gives them what I call “speed counseling”. Of course, she’s our professor so she can’t technically give us professional counseling, but she is a real therapist so even just chatting with her about life for five minutes was enough to help me feel a little better about tackling the day ahead. If you’re a student, chances are you have mental health professionals on standby ready to help you talk about your life. Feelings are a touchy and confusing subject, so it’s great getting to chat with someone who’s trained to help you navigate all of these emotions, especially at a time when you’re not feeling your very best. 

two women talking at a table together work business casual
Pexels / Christina Morillo

Have a DIY Self-Care Day 

Putting everything on hold except for your physical and mental well-being is not a bad way to re-channel your energy into being the best version of yourself that you can be. Throw on a facemask, light some candles, paint your nails, binge-watch Netflix, eat chocolate-covered-everything, do whatever floats your boat and makes you happy for a night. Then, hopefully, by the time morning rolls around, you’ll feel refreshed enough to start re-evaluating exactly what needs to get done in your life for you to relight that spark you had when you were an eager, happy-go-lucky freshman. 

girl taking bubble bath while looking at landscape
Roberto Nickson

Take a Mini Vacation 

Taking a vacation doesn’t mean having to drop major bank on a luxury beach side hotel. A vacation is just a break that lets you get away from somewhere you don’t necessarily want to be at the moment. You can take a quick weekend trip back home and spend some time with your family, you can jump on a Peter Pan bus and head into Boston or New York City for the day, or you can call up your friends who go to another school and visit them for a couple of days. These are all getaways that won’t cost you too much money but can give you a serious breather from all of the work that’s bogging you down and clouding up your mindset. Of course, getting everything you need to is the key to getting back on top of things, but it’s totally okay to take a break and spend some time away from the source of your stress. 

Averie Woodard
Feeling burned out in your early 20s is fine, tons of people feel the same way. However, you don’t need to let this exhausted mindset take over your life. Try out a few of these tips to help you get back on track and conquer the damn world like you were born to do! 

All images are courtesy of the Her Campus Media Library.

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst