grace gaustad interview?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
grace gaustad interview?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Sharum Ari
Style

‘Feel good, look good’ for class: UMass Amherst edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I believe in the power of disheveled beauty, owning a “groutfit,” and rocking old slippers to Dunks. I also believe in looking good to feel good.

Known in the sixth grade as “Tunic Lady” for my young love of blouses, I’ve always found value in putting effort behind my self-presentation. I’m not talking about body shape or size, designer brands, or Goodwill; I’m talking about treating your body like a canvas and getting ready like an art form. Preparing oneself to take on the day is a universal opportunity for expression, so why not have fun with it?

Here’s my quick and dirty class routine that makes me feel true-to-me, confident in what I offer, and ready to take on Moodle.

Skin

I’ll confess that I’m not great at makeup. The concept of blending never worked for my hands, and I fight with my eyeliner every weekend. Recently, I’ve found a manageable, everyday regimen that makes me feel done up with minimal effort. Here’s my five-step routine and favorite products (thanks to some great TJX makeup steals).

Five Products in Five Minutes (or less)

1. CC Sunscreen
  2. Cream Blush
  3. Eyebrow Gel
  4. Mascara
  5. Gloss

Although makeup seems unfathomable on some mornings, taking a few minutes to do these simple steps has truly made a difference in my self-confidence. Everyone deserves to glow, regardless of if you’re working with dollar store bins or a stocked makeup fridge.

Body

Contrary to every “Night In My Life” YouTube routine, I don’t pick my outfit the night before class. Being Massachusetts-minded, I have little faith in the weather forecast until it’s a few hours out, so I check every morning to see what Mother Nature has in store. 

After checking the weather, I use Pinterest as a guide for my closet. My “Uni Girl” board holds my everyday streetwear pins and makes outfit inspiration accessible without much thought. I want my outward expression to be true to my natural attraction, so I choose my outfits confident in what my eye tells me. 

In theory, copying a Pinterest fit five minutes before class seems delusional. The key is to take loose (keyword: loose) inspiration from the pin and make it your own. You can copy the colors, shapes, or accessories; choose one aspect to replicate that will make your clothes feel more like an outfit. With one body and one brain to dress for the rest of your life, you might as well make it your own.

SOUL

I treat my walk to class like a movie entrance, matching my music to my plans, outfit, and energy. These walks are my morning peace, where I can be grateful for my college life and enjoy the soundtrack of my own main character story.

Five songs for five movie-Esque campus walks:

• For walks to class after an annoying GroupMe message. Walks that need to be struts with a matching beat for every hip sway.
  • For walks to class when he’s acting up. Preparing to girl boss for the next 90 minutes and remind yourself how capable you are, with or without him.
  • For walks to class when your to-do list is weeks long and rolling with the punches is the only way forward.
  • For walks when a bottle of wine and four roommates are waiting for you at home. Life feels simple and you’re energized by the love around you.
Gradients?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Canva

Looking good and feeling good means something different to everyone. For me, traditional routines of making my bed, meditating, and drinking greens aren’t empowering. Making time for creativity, self-expression, and fun every morning has made a world of difference in my attitude and sense of self.

Look good, feel good, and do good this semester.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Emma Sturgis

U Mass Amherst

Emma is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in communications and journalism with a concentration in public relations. Ever since reading “The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls in high school English, it has been Emma’s dream to make a career out of reminiscing. Follow her on Instagram @eoneillll.