This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve always been someone who’s extremely hesitant when it comes to paying for subscriptions, which is the only reason I didn’t try Ipsy sooner. I try to limit the amount of money that gets automatically taken out of my account each month, but after seeing ads for Ipsy on pretty much every media platform, I decided to give it a try! I could afford to spend $10 each month, and if I didn’t like what I got the first time, I could just cancel.  

My Experience

The first thing I did when I made my account was fill out a very detailed quiz about my beauty preferences. This was a way for Ipsy to know information that was specific to me, like my skin color, skin type, hair texture, comfort level with makeup, and which types of products I wanted to try and which ones I didn’t. Now, each bag I receive will be filled with personalized products that I know I will be able to use!

After being put on the “waitlist” (which lasted only about a week), I received a notification that my bag was being assembled and would ship within the next few days.

I was pleasantly surprised when I received my first bag. The quality and the size of the products were awesome. If I had gone out to buy these items at the store, it would have easily exceeded 10 dollars. After such a good first impression, I decided to stick with it at least another month.

With each bag I’ve gotten since, I have been more and more satisfied. Recently, however, Ipsy announced that they are increasing their prices to $12 a month, but after the experience I’ve had, paying 2 more dollars seems worth it to me.

What if You’re Not Comfortable Using Makeup? 

Getting an Ipsy subscription is the perfect way to start your journey using makeup. It allows you to try on various beauty products in the comfort of your own home, so you can see what really works for you without wasting all your money at the store. It sends you 5 new products each month – varying from lip gloss and eyeshadow to brow gel and nail polish. This way, if you receive something you love, you can buy it at your local drugstore or makeup store once it runs out.

Not Just Makeup…

Besides 5 brand-new products each month, Ipsy also sends a small makeup bag with every shipment. I’ve been receiving these bags for about 7 months now, and I definitely don’t need 7 makeup bags – but the great thing is that you can use them for pretty much anything. I’ve used them as pencil cases, for storage for travel toiletries, and for whatever else fits in them. They always have a cute design depending on the time of year and what is currently trending in the fashion world. 

Sneak Peek

You get to peek inside your bag each month, and Ipsy offers “add-on” products that allow for additional beauty items to be shipped with your bag. They range from $3 to $12, depending on the size, and ship free with the rest of your items. Some of my favorite products have been offered as add-ons, so I was able to purchase them again for only $3.

You Deserve It

Life as a college student can be stressful – living on your own, managing your time and classes, and preparing for life after school – so treating yourself every once in a while is really a necessity that Ipsy makes so easy. 

Images: 1,

Shannon FitzGerald

U Mass Amherst '20

Shannon is a junior honors student at UMass Amherst studying Communication and Economics. Although she wishes she could be traveling all the time, she is usually found hanging out with her friends, binge watching shows on Netflix, and shopping wherever she can get the best deal!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst