This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The concept of dieting has become an extremely commercialized subject over the past few decades. We all know we should be eating well, but actually carrying out this process in your daily life is complicated—not many of us are nutrition experts, and the temptation to eat poorly can be overwhelming. Although one must be wary of fad diets that claim outrageous promises, the so-called raw foods diet has been making its way onto the media circuit and across the medical community for quite some time. According to WebMD, this diet promotes eating exclusively raw fruits, vegetables, and grains with the idea that “heating food destroys its nutrients and natural enzymes, which is bad because enzymes boost digestion and fight chronic disease.” To the extent that you can, try to avoid any fast or processed foods and opt for wholesome, organic choices. Obviously this is a lofty goal and the level of effort on your part is high, but the health benefits you obtain are also very high—and if you’ve vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free, this should merely be an extension of what you’re already doing.

However, there are certain foods that experts advise against consuming raw, and others that are simply more beneficial when cooked. Here is a quick rundown of what you should be looking out for if you’re considering the raw lifestyle:

1. Cruciferous vegetables

Cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and more. Although these veggies are technically fine to consume raw (especially if you find yourself craving them), they contain a thyroid inhibitor that may worsen certain thyroid conditions when consumed raw. If you don’t have any such pre-existing conditions, these vegetables may also cause bloating or gas. This one is up to the individual—just be aware of your body.

2. Potatoes

Although small quantities aren’t harmful, raw potatoes contain toxins like solanine that can cause health issues, especially digestive problems. Removing the skin is your best bet if you want to eat them raw, but you’re better off boiling or otherwise cooking them. 

3. Beans

You really shouldn’t be eating too many raw beans—this food category has toxins that can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other unpleasant symptoms within a few hours of consumption. The more you consume, the worse the symptoms. Kidney beans, for example, should be soaked and cooked before you eat them (and throw out the water you soaked them in!)

4. Mushrooms

You should always be wary of the mushrooms you eat—some can be extremely toxic, and even the common white mushroom isn’t advised to be consumed in its raw form. As a general rule, mushrooms should always be cooked unless you are 100 percent sure they are safe to eat otherwise.

As with all other health-related subjects, you should definitely check with your doctor or nutritionist before beginning a new food endeavor and eliminating or adding certain foods to your diet. Do what’s best for you—and listen to what your body is saying. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst