Life > Experiences

Discovering my Love for Cooking while Living On My Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Throughout my college career, I found difficulty in finding hobbies that were both fulfilling and enjoyable. Reading and crafting are things that I enjoy doing, but after a long day of classes, it is hard for me to motivate myself to pick up a book or dive back into a project that I had been working on. Watching television helps me relax, but it can often make me feel unproductive. Having an off-campus apartment has allowed me to find joy in cooking new dishes, and also allows me to indulge in my hard work afterward. 

Growing up, I always viewed grocery shopping as a chore. Making a list, driving to the supermarket, and walking down the same aisles over and over again was not an activity that I looked forward to (unless there were free samples involved). Meal planning has become something that I have become more fond of in college; it can be incredibly difficult to cook for one while eliminating waste, so I found that planning out my meals on a weekly basis provided the most efficient way to shop. Being able to prepare my meal schedule ahead of time creates excitement and allows me to stock up on new recipes. I always find fun recipes on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. Being excited to try new dishes makes grocery shopping way more enjoyable, and it is honestly something that I look forward to most weeks. 

Being able to watch yourself grow in a hobby is a very satisfying feeling, and cooking is one of those hobbies where improvement is visible. Not only does ease of preparation occur the longer that you cook, but the quality and taste of the food do as well. There have been times when I have made dishes that I was somewhat disappointed in, but the more times that I have attempted them, the better the flavor profiles have come out, which is a rather rewarding feeling. 

In addition to being proud of the progress that I have made through cooking, it is a hobby that I can share with others. My boyfriend and I like to invite each other over to cook meals together, which is a great way to spend quality time together while working on improving our skills. Similarly, being able to provide meals for my roommates and friends brings me joy and fulfillment. I love hearing from people that they are reusing recipes that I showed them, and I think that having dinner parties is a great way to learn techniques from other people.

When I had first moved into an apartment, I had asked my older friends from college the pros and cons that they felt that off-campus housing offered. I remember being told that cooking meals every day was a bother, but I find that cooking for myself is my favorite part of the day. There are so many recipes out there that I have yet to make, and I am glad that cooking will be a staple in my life.
Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Serena Chiasson

U Mass Amherst '24

Serena is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying biomedical engineering.