The Dangers of Online Shopping – Why You Need to Read the Small Print

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are few better feelings in college than waiting for the arrival of a package. Unfortunately, it seems as if the over the top (but amazingly awesome) care packages from Mom and Dad slowly start to diminish after freshman year, once they realize that cosigning our college loans were about the biggest care packages they could give you. Pretty understandable, I suppose. 

By the time second semester of sophomore year rolls around, we become care-package self sufficient. Otherwise known as, online shopaholics.  It makes perfect sense, between classwork, extra curricular activities, boring lecture halls, and lack of transportation it’s no wonder us Collegiettes are doing more online shopping than ever. 

But as with all retail therapy, comes with retail riskiness. It used to be you walked into a store, found about five items you absolutely loved, then either convinced yourself to buy only one of the three shirts entangled in your fingers, or justified buying the three shirts, pair of pants and new sunglasses because you “really need them.” Either way, when you left the store… so did your wallet.

That’s the difference with shopping online. To browse almost any apparel website now, you have to enter your email and become a member. Becoming a member looks harmless though right? Not to mention they entice you with “awesome perks” like a VIP membership, reward points, free shipping on every order and even a “personal stylist.”

With what seems to be endless options of shoes, clothing and accessories it would be impossible to find something you didn’t love. So you make your first purchase. Welcome to bank account hell. 

Remember that tiny box on the check out page that says, “I agree to the terms and conditions” that you mindlessly clicked because who the #*%& actually reads the terms and conditions? Well, you actually just agreed to a monthly subscription where they automatically take out a certain amount of money and then give you “credits” to buy items off of their website. 

I know at least for me, I try to avoid checking my bank account as much as possible considering it’s usually a very sad number, so it’s incredibly easy to overlook a withdrawal. And if that purchase from the website was a one time splurge, chances are you’re not going to tease yourself by going back on it and looking at all the items you can’t or shouldn’t buy. This means you’re also not going to notice you’ve racked up six “credits” or about $240 over the past six months that you haven’t returned to the website. 

That’s right, I’m talking about cruel and unusual punishment of the 21st century. Websites charging you when you’re not even shopping! 

I know what you’re thinking, “Well if I use my debit card that never even has enough money over the monthly fee then I’ll be fine.” WRONG. As soon as you pick up an extra waitressing shift, or work in your parents office for a day and deposit the small, but still significant, check into your bank account, guess where it automatically goes to? THE WEBSITE.

The worst part is when you realize you have all of these credits and can’t do anything but order new stuff. I know it doesn’t sound that bad but they make it feel like you’re getting this all for free when they say you owe “00.00” at the check out page. Then you think of all the other things you could have done with $240…

Can’t a girl just buy one pair of shoes and be done?! 

With that said, I don’t want anyone else to fall victim of these online website loopholes. Here are a few shopping companies that like to make the small print extra small…

1. Shoe Dazzle – They create your “perfect” showroom especially personalized for you, then when you make your first purchase they charge you 39.95 every 6th of the month. Kim Kardashian is actually one of the four founders of this company. Why she needs to finagle the money out of broke college girls just trying to be fashionable? BEATS ME.

2. Just Fab – Almost identical to Shoe Dazzle, and where I will be buying shoes for the next six months…

3. Fabletics – According to their website, they call this the “the brainchild of actress and co-founder Kate Hudson.” They are partnered with Just Fab but they sell women’s active wear. After becoming a member and buying your first purchase they start automatically charging you $49.95 each month. This website is extra cruel because they have Kate Hudson all over the home page and who wouldn’t want to look like Kate Hudson in a pair of yoga pants?

4. Stylemint – $29.99 per month after your first purchase.

5. Shoemint – $79.99 per month after your first purchase – Yikes. 

6. Jewelmint – $29.99 per month after your first purchase.

7. Intimint – $29.99 per month after your first purchase.

8. ANYTHING MINT. All of these companies are under BeachMint.

The most unfortunate part of these websites is that sometimes they really do have cute stuff or a sweet deal. So, I’ve created a list of my own loopholes to beat their sneaky system. 

1. Don’t use a debit or credit card. If you see something you really love use a gift card, for example: Visa. That way, once you spend all of the money on it they can’t charge you. This is unlike a debit card where you’re most likely going to deposit more money at some point into that account.

2. If you don’t have a Visa gift card and have to really resort to a debit or credit card then set a reminder and or alarm on your phone that will go off on the 1st of each month so you can press, “SKIP THE MONTH.” Each of the websites I listed above does give you this option for the first five days of each month, but like I said when you don’t know you’re going to be charged you most likely don’t know that you have the option of skipping either.

3. CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL. Having to completely rely on your phone as a reminder is always dangerous. If you end up buying something off the website cancel as soon as your item comes in the mail. These websites make you call customer service to cancel, AKA they want to try and convince you to stay. They might offer you more reward points but fight the urge! Stand your ground.

Although my last three tips are ways around the system, I seriously recommend staying as far away as possible. You slip up one time and the backlash goes straight to your back account. I’m not saying to stay away from online shopping all together. I’m just saying to take the extra five minutes to read those damn terms and conditions, it’s worth it. Trust me.

All Photos Compliments of Google.

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst