How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

Cycle Syncing: Be Intune With Your Menstrual Cycle To Achieve Your Health Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Do you have a uterus? Did you say yes? Then cycle syncing might be the thing for you. 

As women, our mental and physical health correlates with our menstrual cycle. Reports say that women have “high levels of self-esteem during the middle of the cycle,” and “increased feelings of anxiety, hostility, and depression were reported right before their period.” This is due to the monthly hormonal fluctuation and changes that occur in our bodies. However, there is the concept of cycle syncing, a term created by Alisa Vitti, a Functional Nutritionist. The idea behind cycle syncing is that by adapting your diet, exercise, and self-care routines to your menstrual cycle, you can optimize your health and well-being. 

So why should you start changing and matching your lifestyle to your cycle? Well, experts say it can help you to avoid burnout, and that it helps you feel more energized, mindful, and balanced. It also may help you to have more effective workouts and decreases your mood swing. Now, if you are ready to try and get cycling to a more well-balanced life, we will get down to some body and cycle syncing business. 

The four phases of the menstrual cycle are the follicular phase, ovulatory phase, luteal phase, and menstrual phase. Each phase is defined by variations in hormone levels, which have an impact on a woman’s health and happiness in numerous ways. Therefore, we will be going through the diets and workouts that are beneficial for each of these phases and some you should avoid. 

Menstrual phase (days 1-5)

You may feel physically uncomfortable and worn out during the menstrual phase. It’s crucial to put relaxation and rest first during this phase, and to concentrate on eating meals high in iron, zinc, and other minerals. High-intensity workouts are not advised since your period is the best time for recuperation. Try low-impact workouts like stretching, mild yoga, and those hot girl walks.

Follicular phase (days 6 – 14)

Estrogen levels rise during the follicular period, which follows menstruation, and women may experience an increase in energy. This is an excellent time to concentrate on a high-intensity activity, like aerobics or weightlifting. Foods high in iron and iodine are ideal during your follicular phase since they help your body recover from menstruation. In order to assist the body’s metabolism of estrogen during this time, it is important to consume enough fiber.

Ovulatory phase (days 15 – 17)

The body releases an egg for fertilization during the ovulatory phase, which happens in the middle of the cycle. It’s a good time for you to concentrate on tasks that call for mental clarity, like problem-solving or creative work. This is a fantastic time to perform HIIT exercises that combine strength and endurance training since they will assist increase your metabolism. You should concentrate on eating foods that will support your body’s ability to maintain healthy levels of estrogen at this time when your hormones are at their highest. For example, bell peppers, berries, tomatoes, and leafy greens.

Luteal phase (days 18 – 28)

A spike in progesterone concentrations is a characteristic of the luteal phase. During this time, you may feel more introspective, so it’s a good idea to concentrate on self-care practices like yoga or meditation. Include items that help maintain hormone balance in your diet, like complex carbohydrates, B-vitamins, and magnesium.

Cycle syncing is a great way to help balance your life, and there are many videos and articles out there with finer details about this process. So if you are feeling burnout, tired, and unbalanced, consider trying cycle syncing, your body might just thank you in the long run.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Lenyx Le

U Mass Amherst '25

Lenyx is majoring in Studio Art, with a concentration in Animation. She enjoys going to museums, reading, fashion, and listening to music.