This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While these holidays are finally coming near, people everywhere are looking forward to getting a break from work and school, and spending time with family and friends. Amongst the colorful lights and joyous chaos, it can sometimes be difficult to form true connections and stay present during this special time of year.

Although quite difficult in this modern age, slowing down can help embrace the small beauties and appreciate the important things in life. During the holiday times, whether it’s sipping a warm beverage by the fireplace or taking a quiet walk in a snow–covered walk, intentionally embracing the slow moments allows us to appreciate the small wonders of this wonderful winter season. Sometimes even more important than appreciating the world around us, is appreciating the special people who make us and our community what it is. 

Creating new traditions and embracing old ones can bring loved ones closer together. Rituals can anchor us to the present moment and connect us with the essence of the season. Some traditions may include decorating the house together with family, volunteering for food drives, or just sharing experiences from that year, which will add meaning to the festivities. Cultivating presence during gatherings will help make colorful memories. Whether it’s a family dinner or festive party, practice putting away all your distractions and immerse yourself in the laughter and conversations. This will help build stronger connections with your loved ones as well as remarkable memories. 

Spending quality time with family and friends will also often include gift–giving. Social media and commercialized holiday shopping play a great deal in the increased pressure surrounding gift–giving. Instead of getting caught up in the rush of holiday shopping with all the advertisements and sales, it is getting increasingly important to choose gifts according to the individual preferences which can add meaning to any relationship. The gesture of giving a gift is an automatic message to your recipient that you value them as part of your world. Thoughtful gifts can show that you have spent time and effort into understanding the recipient’s needs and wishes. In general, gifts serve as tangible expressions of emotions that words may not be able to convey. The mutual exchange of gifts can help strengthen and foster the harmony of social bonds.

Before the holiday season intensifies, make sure to take some time and set meaningful goals for yourself. Think about what aspects of the holidays mean the most to you and make time for them. This will help you focus your time and energy on activities that are closest to your heart. For example, if a break means prioritizing self–care, then schedule out times and activities that you want to engage in relaxation and rejuvenation of the mind and body. This may also include opting for a digital detox, where you intentionally try to enhance in–person interactions and be fully present. 

During this holiday season, celebrating mindfully becomes a transformative experience, practicing awareness, gratitude and connection into the colorful experience of the festivities. By practicing these mindful strategies, you can enjoy the small things even better, and create long lasting memories that you’ll cherish long after taking down decorations. You’ll come out of the season with stronger bonds, beautiful memories, and a heightened sense of gratitude and joy that you can cherish till the next holiday season.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Tharegha Manoharan

U Mass Amherst '27

Tharegha Manoharan is a freshman at UMass Amherst majoring in Chemical Engineering. She loves to write about various topics in many styles, and is an excited new member of Her Campus. In her free time, Tharegha listens to music, watches movies and spends time with her family and friends.