This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Do you love to laugh? Do you like free things? If you answered yes to either or both of those questions, then you should most definitely check out The Poorboy!

What is The Poorboy you ask? The Poorboy is a student run humor magazine that is published every semester. It features humor writers and cartoonists from the UMass community and the Five-College Consortium.

The Poorboy was started by students who had an interest in comedy writing. After coming up with this idea, along with much organizing and planning, The Poorboy officially became an RSO and published its first magazine last semester.

You may be thinking to yourself, this sounds like something I would love! But what might I find in this exciting magazine? The president and founder of The Poorboy, Ben Richman, can answer that for you: “The Poorboy is packed with laughs. You’ll open it up and just start laughing. You will also find jokes and stories, fun advertisements, a useful calendar of all events funny in and around campus, and some silly illustrations from UMass students. Open it!

Sounds like good advice. Now that you are excited, you are probably eager to know when and where you can pick up your copy of this semester’s publication. The magazine’s official release is November 21st at the Sketch 22 show (UMass’ sketch comedy troupe), 8 p.m. in Herter 231Be there! After its official release, you will be able to pick up a copy on newspaper racks around campus, including at the Bartlett hall entrance and library main entrance. The group is also petitioning to get a copy in every bathroom stall around campus. Who doesn’t love an entertaining bathroom read?

Wondering how you can get involved? Easy peasy! You can have your writings and illustrations appear in the magazine. Ben explains, “That’s what the magazine is made for, to feature you! (and to have the UMass community giggling in bathrooms).” The Poorboy is also always looking for help producing the magazine, so if other aspects of magazine production interest you (layout, PR, finance, etc.), contact them! They can be reached at info.thepoorboy@gmail.com

Be sure to “like” The Poorboy on Facebook, and pick up a copy of their publication this month!https://www.facebook.com/theumasspoorboy

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst