Campus Celebrity: Catie Baumgartner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Name: Catie Baumgartner

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Major: Linguistics & Anthropology

Minor: Spanish

Occupation: Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent at Her Campus UMass Amherst

HC: How did you first get involved with Her Campus?

Catie: I started reading Her Campus articles at the beginning of my freshman year. I loved the content and message, but what really intrigued me was the tone. Reading an article felt more like having a conversation with a friend.

I was really excited when the UMass Amherst chapter got up and running my sophomore year. I was a contributor and then started as a content editor last year. I’m lucky because I’ve been able to do some really incredible things through HC, like College Confessionals and College Fashion Week. I just love it!

HC: What does your role with HC entail?

Catie: Basically I’m in charge of all the content that gets posted on the HC UMass site. I oversee the editors and make sure things are running smoothly. I also handle any tech and website issues, which gets kind of scary sometimes! When I have 100 more emails/messages than usual, I know there’s some sort of problem with the site.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about your major?

Catie: Well, most people think linguistics is just learning foreign languages, but it’s the very general study of language. That includes everything from how words are formed to how the brain processes it all (yes, I’m a nerd). My favorite thing is definitely that I get to study one of the few things that connects all humans. Language is such a powerful thing!

HC: If there is anything you could change about your time spent at UMass, what would it be?

Catie: This is a toughie. I guess I wish I had taken a class at one of the other colleges. I know that can be a logistic nightmare, but I think it would have been a great experience.

Also, that I went to Late Night at Berk more because now that I’m off campus, I miss it dearly.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

Catie: Ha, what is “free time?”

My absolute favorite thing to do is travel. I have a really hard time being in the same place too long. But since that’s not always an option, I love going on smaller adventures too—hiking, snowboarding, exploring a new town, etc. 

HC: What is your favorite thing about your Co-Campus Correspondent?

Catie: Well, I work with this lovely lady named Ellanje Ferguson. Do you know her? We really didn’t know each other very well before this year, but we’re somehow always on the same wavelength. That’s definitely my favorite thing. I like to think we’ve become Her Campus partners in crime.  

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.