This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Two of my current obsessions: TikTok and reading. You might be wondering, how can these two even be related? Actually, TikTok can be a great resource for any interests and hobbies that you have because it connects you to learn more about them and adds more of those types of videos into your “For You Page”. Along with always being on TikTok, reading is something I recently got back into and I couldn’t be more excited about it. I try and read a chapter every night before I sleep as a way to de-stress from my busy life. So, if you’re looking for a way to ease back into reading or even just some book recommendations, look no further! Here are some book recommendations I’ve seen and am going to read from being on BookTok.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller: This novel is about Greek gods and kings involved in a love story. It incorporates action and adventure, so if you’re interested in Greek mythology and romance, this is the book for you.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer: This is another fiction book about a young girl who is next in line to be queen, but she has other plans. It’s a romance, magic, and monster-packed book.

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone: As a young girl with OCD, Samantha has trouble with dark thoughts and anxiety. She meets a new group of people and her life is changed dramatically with them drawing her in.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: A family with a dark secret lives on a private island. I don’t want to give too much away, but this mysterious book will keep you guessing until the last pages.

We Were Liars book
Original photo by Sophia Apteker
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini: Located in Afghanistan, this novel is a moving story about faith, family, and friendship. Hosseini is also the author of the best-selling book The Kite Runner.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid: As a Hollywood movie icon, Evelyn decides to take charge and tell the truth of her scandalous life to a magazine reporter Monique. When Monique learns more about Evelyn, twists and turns encounter and a mysterious story unfolds.

floating wooden shelves full of books, art prints and other knickknacks
Vladimir Mokry | Unsplash
Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid: When a young black woman is babysitting for a white family on a trip to their local supermarket, she is accused of kidnapping the two-year-old by the security guard. This novel takes on the subjects of race and class into a beautiful yet hard-to-read book.

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite: When Korede is jealous of her sister, the favorite child, she takes matters into her own hands. This dark-humor read is definitely one that will keep you up just to read until the end.

Hopefully, these books can be on your reading list because I can’t wait to read them too! 

Elizabeth Mooney

U Mass Amherst '22

As a senior at UMass Amherst, Elizabeth Mooney is studying Community Education and Social Change and is so excited to be writing for HerCampus for her third year! She writes articles on lifestyle, relationships, and college life so check them out! Feel free to follow her Instagram: @lizmooney02
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst