Birth Control: Your Best Friend or Worst Enemy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There’s no mystery behind why most sexually active women use some kind of hormonal birth control. When used correctly “the pill” and other methods like it have over a 99% success rate at preventing pregnancy. In fact, it’s one of the most researched drugs on the market today.  You could say birth control is kind of like a best friend: reliable and trustworthy. It gives you peace of mind, allowing you to focus on important aspects of your life like work and school, instead of worrying about pregnancy.  For many women, birth control has affected their lives in a positive way with regular periods and beautiful acne free skinBut for others, like myself, the pill has become my worst enemy.

A small percentage of women suffer from some of the horrible side effects of using hormonal birth control. From fits of crying to extreme anxiety, I was confused by my body and frustrated with my emotions. I noticed a difference in my overall happiness and I didn’t feel like myself. For a while, I wasn’t sure my birth control was to blame for my uncontrollable moods and feelings, but after having conversations with other girls, I realized I wasn’t alone.

I talked to girls who had gone into a deep depressions, so severe they chose to get off their birth control completely. Others dealt with extreme moods swings and anxiety, describing themselves as feeling out of control.”  After realizing my birth control was the cause of my “crazy” behavior, I started to become aware of what was happening, and had to constantly remind myself, it’s just the birth control.  I felt so much better knowing there were other girls who could completely relate to me, that I wasn’t alone, and most importantly that I wasn’t CRAZY.

You’re not alone, see what UMass girls had to say:

“I felt out of control of my emotions and it was affecting my everyday life. Everything made me anxious and upset.”

“It made me overly emotional about everything. I knew half the time I was being ridiculous but there were times that I truly couldn’t control my emotions.

“I felt anxious and depressed about EVERYTHING from the minute I woke up and I’m usually a generally happy person. I felt like there was nothing to look forward to and my life was over.”

“I would say, for me, the phrase birth control was a complete hypocrisy because the last thing I had was control. Whatever I was feeling was intensified and I was aware. The scary part was I could not change it no matter how hard I tried.”

“Birth control has actually made my cramps and bloating WORSE! It’s hard to decide if the pros of certainty are outweigh by the terrors that come with the pill!”

“I would find myself having the biggest mood swings and really bad anxiety. It was easy for me to feel really down and I always felt like no one cared or understood me.  I got irrationally angry at the smallest things and I would start crying without reason…yeah, I thought I was crazy.”

“It made me ridiculously sad and terrible to be around.  It was like the drive to do anything was just gone.”

What you should do:

The last thing I’m trying to do is persuade girls to get off of their birth control, but if you find yourself relating to the symptoms above, I hope you feel assured that you are not alone and that your birth control might be to blame. Many of the girls I interviewed were able to talk to their doctor and switch their birth control. It may take time for your body to readjust, but with patience and determination, you will find a form birth control that is right for you and your body.

You owe it to yourself:

We all deserve to feel happy and in control of ourselves. To girls who can relate, you owe it to yourself to find your happiness again. Feeling depressed, anxious, empty, out of control, angry, frustrated, or crazy is no way to continue on for the sake of being 99% protected. Talk to your doctor and make a change. Take back your control and turn your enemy named birth control, into your best friend.
Kara Settle

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst