This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With COVID-19 and online classes taking a toll on the average student’s mental health, we could all use a little TLC. It is especially important to pamper yourself and make sure you’re practicing self-care this fall. Self-care can benefit your physical and mental health by providing stress relief and giving you that one-on-one time to reflect and decompress. Whether you use self-care as a coping mechanism or just need a brain break, below are some new ideas for ways you could pamper yourself this fall.

Spa Day

This one’s a little bit cliche, but sometimes a spa day is just painting your nails and taking a long shower. Hygiene can often be neglected when your mental health isn’t doing well, and that’s okay. Remind yourself that taking care of your body is important to feel good physically and mentally.

Retail Therapy 

Spending a little extra on those clothes you saw on TikTok or an Instagram ad won’t be the worst thing you’ve done. We all can use a little retail therapy every now and then for a pick me up. If you were looking for a sign to buy some new clothes this is it, a new fall wardrobe here we come!

Write a Gratitude List for 2020

Undoubtedly 2020 has been a pretty rough year, however, writing down the things you are grateful for this past year can be a good way to reflect. This year has been hard, but I know there are a few good memories that came out of it. Writing down these things could also help you come up with some goals for the new year.

Holiday Baking 

Everyone loves some pumpkin-flavored treats. Baking pumpkin bread, apple crisp, or any holiday treat can be a fun activity to pass time and keep busy. If you are having a hard time thinking of some ideas, I suggest looking up a holiday recipe on Pinterest for some delicious inspiration. 

Meditation 

Hear me out, if you have never tried meditating they have amazing guided meditations on YouTube and even have apps for it (Headspace is a great one). Breathing exercises are proven to release stress and help clear your mind. If you are feeling a little extra anxious try this video above or check out their YouTube page.

Yoga

Similar to meditating, there are some really great YouTube videos for yoga as well. If yoga isn’t for you, putting on some calming music and just stretching can be a natural way to increase serotonin production and relax. 

Go for a Walk

We could all use some extra vitamin D right now. Taking a 30-minute walk and getting some fresh air is such a simple way to pamper yourself. Staying locked up in your dorm or apartment can be draining, we all need some sunshine. Going for a walk is an easy way to exercise and get your mind right. 

Order Take-Out

With COVID-19, going out to eat happens less often. Ordering your favorite take-out instead of cooking can be an easy way to put a smile on your face, especially after a long day.

Take some time out of your busy schedule and pamper yourself a bit. Giving yourself a break will get you ready to tackle the things on your to do list with a clear mind. 

All images courtesy of the HC Media Library

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst