This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We live in an era that places far too great a value on numbers: number of followers, number of dollars in our bank of account, and number of pounds on the scale. Society tries to quantify our worth based on how high we can get these numbers or in the case of weight; how low. We follow the rules of society, yet by applying these rules to our own lives we are enabling personal judgements and mental intimidation. If we continue to spend our whole lives trying to fit into society’s mold of “perfection” we will never achieve the REAL happiness. Once you let go of self judgement and others’ judgements, you will feel free to embrace, discover, celebrate, and truly love your inner self. We cannot genuinely give that which we do not have within. Thus, once we become our own hype gal, we can radiate that love outward to others and the world.  It is time we challenge ourselves and one another in creating our own rule on the meaning of beauty for ourselves. First step: start by giving yourself a little self-love and practicing body positivity.

Practice reflecting on how you feel both mentally and physically rather than focusing on the numbers. Pounds on a scale do not represent the overall health of your body. Focus your energy outwardly, discover what you are passionate about, develop meaningful relationships with the people around you. Far too often women don’t remember that they have so much more to offer to the community than their outward appearance. Once you find what fulfills you and you feel good on the inside, it really does shine through to the outside and in return you will feel more radiant and confident about the person you are presenting to the world.

For years people have been combatting this issue of body image in society with the support and social media influence of many companies and celebrities whose empowering messages have been able to affect millions. Companies such as Dove have made it their mission to elevate and empower women to achieve greatness. Through their Dove Self-Esteem Project, they strive to help young people overcome their low body confidence and anxieties over appearance so that they are able to reach their full potential without their insecurities holding them back. Dove commercials are best known for their diverse inclusion of women of all races, ethnicities, and sizes. This sisterhood that Dove has created challenges beauty stereotypes for all women and helps promote positive body confidence, demonstrating the unstoppable power and radiance that a community of women can have when they come together.

As a body positivity activist, Tyra Banks has spread her message to millions about the importance of embracing your differences and being confident in your body. She has not only talked the talk, but Tyra has walked the walk (both literally AND figuratively). She has runway walked her way through any negative comment she has received about her weight or appearance, making her the perfect example of the strength that self-love and body positivity can give you.

Successful and stunning model, Camille Kostek, has faced her share of experiences in the industry in which she needed to overcome body shaming as well. Instead of allowing the hurtful comments on social media to drive her to unhealthy habits and choices, Camille has used them as fuel to spread awareness, hoping that her ability to post without hesitation for herself will inspire women to love who they and the skin they are even more.

Seize the opportunity to start focusing on your self-care NOW! Grab your girl gang and join Camille at the Campus Center on April 8th at 7:30 pm. Join the dialogue about body image and positivity. In a world where people believe numbers correlate to worth, let’s make the number of women supporting other women the biggest!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Erica Dougherty

U Mass Amherst '21

Erica is a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is an Operations and Information Management major in the Isenberg School of Management and she enjoys utilizing Her Campus as a creative outlet for her more artistic side. Erica loves spending time with friends, watching movies, and eating ice cream!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst