Style > Fashion

Balletcore Is Taking Over Fall Fashion: Here’s How You Can Get the Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“Balletcore,” a look that perfectly marries chic and elegant with comfy, has quickly become my favorite current fashion aesthetic. I tend to gravitate towards a soft, feminine vibe when styling my outfits, so ballet meets street style is truly an elite combination. The delicate and cozy take on athleisure just screams fall. Here’s everything you need in your closet to achieve the balletcore look (and where to buy it)!

Ballet Flats

Ballet flats have been trending since influencer Matilda Djerf wore them, convincing everyone that they needed the classy shoe in their fall wardrobe. I personally didn’t hesitate to buy a pair from my local thrift store. The shoe can be easily dressed up or down with a satin ballet skirt or a pair of straight-leg jeans, achieving an elegant look either way. These budget-friendly dupes for the iconic Miu Miu ballet flats are a closet must-have.

Wrap mini skirt

I recently got my hands on a satin wrap mini-skirt, and it makes me feel like a true ballerina. Satin or sheer, a wrap skirt is such a cute and classy staple piece; it’s elegant and chic and can be worn year-round. This one from Boohoo is a great affordable option to pair with a bodysuit, leg warmers, and ballet flats.

leg warmers

Leg warmers are an absolute staple for the fall and winter seasons. After they started trending again last fall, I knew I had to grab myself a couple of pairs. Their vintage feel adds to the classic and timeless effect of a balletcore look, while also keeping you warm. They’re the perfect addition to any outfit and look so chic paired with ballet flats or loafers. Amazon has so many affordable options to choose from.

Bolero shrug

I ordered one of these a while ago and let me tell you, they are life-changing. A bolero shrug is the closet staple you didn’t know you needed. Besides the convenience of being able to add detachable sleeves to any sleeveless top in the colder months, they are a comfy addition to any athleisure look. Amazon has a range of options and colors.

Wrap cardigan

Ditch your plain T.J. Maxx sweater that you’ve had since high school and invest in a cropped wrap cardigan this fall, trust me. I’ve always found these sweaters so cute and cozy, and there are so many ways to dress them up or down. Run and get your hands on this $10 (!!) one from Hollister.

Now that we’ve covered every key balletcore staple, click here to shop all of them (and more!) in one spot. Whether you go full ballerina or off-duty chic, the aesthetic is easy to achieve. It’s timeless, classy, and comfortable, and I have no choice but to be obsessed.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Isabel Persuitte

U Mass Amherst '25

Isabel is a Junior Communications and Journalism major concentrating in Public Relations at UMass. She has a passion for all things fashion, entertainment and culture. Her favorite pastimes include watching movies, taking photos and exploring coffee shops and hidden gems around Amherst!