Autumn Fun: Places to Visit This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Now that fall is your favorite season, you have plenty of fun places and events to choose from. Whether you’re looking for relaxing hayrides, farmer’s markets, corn mazes, or haunted attractions, I’ve highlighted some places for you to check out…

Mike’s Maze at Warner Farm

What: Mike’s Maze features a different theme each year. This year the artist in you can enjoy the Dali-rama, a Salvador Dali inspired maze. Additionally Mike’s Maze offers fresh produce for sale at Mike’s Market, the Corn Café (hello cider donuts), and the Big Tent where pumpkin carving and decoration will take place this October.

Where: 23 South Main Street, Sunderland, MA

When: Saturday and Sunday (and Columbus Day) 10 a.m to 5 p.m.

Special nighttime mazes in October on Fridays and Saturdays from 7 to 10 p.m.

Price: $9 with student ID

McCray’s Farm

What: McCray’s Farm offers the traditional fun of pick-your-own pumpkins as well as hay rides there and back. If you’re an animal lover, you can enjoy the free petting zoo. The farm also offers baked treats and fresh bottled milk. And if you’re looking for scares, don’t forget the Haunted Hayrides.

Where: 55 Alvord Street, South Hadley, MA

When: Pumpkin picking from now until Halloween

Haunted Hayrides during weekends in October

Note: While basic information is still up, due to a website makeover you should call ahead to find out the exact hayride schedules.

Price: Hay Rides to the pumpkin patch $3, Haunted Hayrides $20

Echo Hill Orchards & Winery

What: If you want daytime fun, Echo Hill offers scenic tractor rides up Flynt Mountain, apple and pumpkin picking, and a gift shop full of homemade wine, candles, and other country style gifts.  Or you can come at night for a Haunted Hayride.

Where: 101 Wilbraham Road, Monson, MA

When: Saturdays and Sundays (plus Columbus Day) 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Haunted Hayrides Friday and Saturday nights beginning at 7 p.m.

Price: Haunted Hayride $12.50

Connecticut Trolley Museum’s Rails to the Darkside

What: If you’re specifically looking for a scary fall attraction, the museum’s Rails to the Darkside offers visitors a ride on a haunted railway. According to the site, construction workers relocated a cemetery to build the railway, which then opened in 1906.  Move over haunted hayrides, it’s time for haunted trolleys.

Where: CT Trolley Museum 58 North Road, East Windsor, CT

When: Fridays and Saturdays in October from 7 to 9:30 p.m.

Price: $15

Six Flags Fright Fest

What: Maybe you’re not interested in haunted hayrides or pumpkin picking. If you want all the fun of a theme park with the terror of a horror movie, Fright Fest offers you the best of both worlds. The list of events and attractions is endless, but rest assured, you’ll definitely be scared.

Where: Six Flags New England, Springfield, MA

When: Now through November 3rd

Price: Tickets vary, but the best prices are available online

Enjoy the fall activities, collegiettes!

Kristen Mouris

U Mass Amherst

Kristen Mouris is currently a senior English major and Campus Correspondent at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is also serving as Associate Editor of English Society's literary journal, Jabberwocky. She is originally from Falmouth, MA. Her interests include hunting for new music, writing, and reading movie trivia.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst