yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

8 Ideas That Will Make Fall Your New Favorite Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s that time of year again… when it starts to get chilly outside, so you opt for the not-so-original-anymore movie night in with your girls.  But don’t let the cold weather get you down.  Here are a list of fun, fresh, and low-cost ideas for you to try this season with your friends.

1. Apple-Picking

Find the nearest apple orchard to campus and spend the day there!  Make sure to pick one of each kind of apple they grow and don’t forget the hay ride!  Pick up some caramel apples and cider doughnuts.  Then, continue the fun by whipping up some fresh apple pie back at your dorm or apartment.  Offer some to your neighbors (they’ll be your friends for life). 

2. Haunted House

Halloween is approaching quickly and what better way to start celebrating the holiday with your friends than with a trip to a haunted house?  It’s also the perfect opportunity for you to hang out with that guy you’re into.  Invite him along and tell him to bring his crew. If you get scared, you can always hold his hand (perfect excuse to get close!). 

3. Go On A Hike

Nature doesn’t get much prettier than it does in the fall.  Take advantage of the beautiful scenery by going on a hike. The crisp weather will cool you down if you get sweaty. Don’t forget to take pictures! 

4. Carve A Pumpkin

Get festive! Go to a pumpkin patch and pick out your favorite pumpkin. Then head home, take out your tools, and carve away.  It’s messy, fun, and a chance for you to show your creative side. Don’t forget to clean out the “pumpkin guts.” And if you’re looking for a tasty Fall treat, take the seeds out from your pumpkin to roast. 

5. Go Halloween Costume Shopping

Put last year’s Cat Woman costume away. Although it DID look damn sexy, try something new.  Bring your best friends costume shopping with you and try to scope out some group costumes. There are some great ones out there: the cast of The Wizard of Oz, The Disney Princesses, and The Smurfs are just a few.  Everyone will be wishing they had thought of your idea. 

6. Visit A Nearby Museum

The great thing about going to a school like UMass is that there are so many other colleges nearby.  Did you know that each one of the 5 colleges (Amherst, Mount Holyoke, Smith, Hampshire, and UMass) has a museum of their own that you can visit!?  Whether you are interested in Art, Natural History, Languages, or Poetry, there is something that will interest you!  Take advantage of this opportunity and set out with some friends for a day of learning new things! 

7. Go On A Picnic

Let’s face it, you’re sick of going to the dining hall with your friends just to find yourself walking around for-EVER trying to find somewhere to sit.  Perfect solution: go for a picnic. Head down to Grab’n’Go or pick your favorite sub up at Blue Wall and hit the campus pond for a picnic between classes. It might not be summer anymore, but you’ll be guaranteed seating, AND you’ll have a nice, quiet spot to sit and chat. 

8. Go People Watching

Head downtown on a lazy Sunday afternoon when you’re in need of a good laugh.  Get a hot latte from Starbucks and make yourself comfortable on one of the sidewalk benches.  Observe the passerby and take turns, with your friends, making up stories about the lives of each person you see. Could turn into one of the best days you’ve had. 

With these 8 ideas, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be having the best autumn ever!

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst