neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

ASMR: The Trendiest Form of Relaxation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re one to keep up with pop culture and all its trends, you have probably at least heard of ASMR. If you have, it’s more than likely that you are especially curious about the trend, which is not surprising. ASMR, otherwise known as Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, has recently come to the surface through the increase of ASMR videos on YouTube.

Those who experience ASMR can feel relaxation or what is described as a “tingling feeling” from their own personal “triggers.” A trigger could be tapping, hair brushing or even eating sounds in order to transport themselves into a relaxed state. Many ASMR videos include these triggers individually, like entire video of tapping or hair brushing, but some others will include these triggers into videos that also provide entertainment along with the typical relaxation. Some YouTubers who create these videos, for example, will talk softly into a microphone while tapping on objects they bought on a shopping haul and showing them to viewers. ASMR videos are known to be best watched with headphones.

There is often a stigma against ASMR videos because they can get pretty intimate. This means that in ASMR videos, those who record them may put themselves very close to the camera or make sounds directly onto a microphone, which can make some viewers uncomfortable. However, these types of actions need to happen for viewers who experience ASMR to be triggered by the sounds.

Many of the videos that may create this stigma are videos with a roleplay style. This means that creators may pretend to be a hairdresser styling a viewer’s hair (not in reality of course) or an artist doing your makeup. Don’t be fearful of these videos, however, because not all ASMR content will involve you having to imagine that you are in a hair salon to receive relaxation.

For those who do enjoy ASMR videos, they can truly increase well-being. These calm and quiet videos let viewers step back from their hectic lives and simply listen to the sounds. They also may be able to help those who have a tough time falling asleep, as these videos relax racing thoughts in your mind in order to simply enjoy the tingly sounds.

Overall, college can be very stressful. If you are someone who has found themselves stressed recently and are looking for easy relaxation, why not try ASMR? There are countless types of videos out there that could completely relax you or maybe even just help you sleep a bit better. Either way, ASMR is not something that will be going away anytime soon.

What are your thoughts on this trend, Collegiettes?

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Lauren Crociati

U Mass Amherst

Journalism major, alternative music enthusiast, lover of life, lover of food. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst