8 Scenic New England Hiking Trails You Need to Explore this Autumn

Hiking is the best way to fully embrace the beautiful fall foliage that New England has to offer. Some include unique features and some simply have an amazing view. Here are 8 New England hiking trails that you must visit this Autumn season:

1. 1. Keystone Arch Bridges Trail

Location: Chester, Massachusetts

Difficulty Level: Moderate

This 4.5 mile roundtrip trail has gorgeous railroad bridges towering over the river, in which you will hike beside. There are multiple elevation changes, where you can overlook the river. If you really want to explore, some of the railroad bridges are no longer in use and you can walk across them!

Learn more here

2. 2. Owl's Head Mountain Trail

Location: Groton, Vermont

Difficulty Level: Easy

If you really love the colorful Autumn leaves, you should definitely hike this 3.2 mile trail! As you reach the top, you will overlook Lake Groton and the surrounding foliage. It is a very easy and peaceful hike. 

Learn more here

3. 3. Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail

Location: Bartlett, New Hampshire

Difficulty Level: Challenging

In the White Mountain area lies a 160 ft tall waterfall called Arethusa Falls. Although it is the most challenging hike on this list, the reward is probably the best. So keep that in mind when your feet ache. There are also smaller, still pretty, waterfalls on the way up, if you can't make it all the way!

Learn more here

4. 4. Laurel Bank Conservation Area (Central Mass Goat Rental)

Location: Lunenburg, Massachusetts

Difficulty Level: Easy

You should always hike with a buddy! Good thing this next trail has a herd of them! Central Mass Goat Rental will rent you a goat to hike with in the Laurel Bank Conservation Area for about an hour. Groups can range from a single person to 14 and every member of your party will be able to pick their own goat! The experience is $35 a person.

Learn more here

5. 5. Bee Brook Loop

Location: Washington Depot, Connecticut

Difficulty Level: Easy

This hiking area is home to several intriguing features. Bee Brook Loop is home to the Henry David Thoreau footbridge. This swinging bridge is covered in quote inscriptions from the famous author. It is really a sight to behold. After the bridge, the 2.1 mile trail leads you to an abandoned mine, with pieces of quartz exposed in the walls and floors.

Learn more here

6. 6. Polar Caves Park

Location: Rumney, New Hampshire

Difficulty Level: Easy

Not only a hike but an entire experience! Polar Caves Park is a popular New England tourist destination with nine different granite caves you can explore, multiple trails that twist around those caves, and a rock garden. This park is a great day trip! Tickets are $19.50 for access to the entire adventure.

Learn more here

7. 7. Dogtown & Babson Boulder Trail

Location: Gloucester, Massachusetts

Difficulty Level: Moderate

Missing Halloween season already? This 1.8 mile trail will get you back into the spooky spirit! Dogtown is home to the Babson Boulders, giant rocks left by Roger Babson, inscribed with strange quotes like "Help Mother" and "If Work Stops, Values Decay". They are scattered about the trail and create an eerie presence in the forest. 

Learn more here

8. 8. Bradbury Mountain Summit Trail

Location: Pownal, Maine

Difficulty: Easy

For the person who just wants the autumn scenery with as little hiking as possible; Bradbury Mountain has a Summit Trail that is only .3 miles to reach the top. The breathtaking view overlooks a sea of colorful trees. If you want more of a hike though, there is another trail that is 1.4 miles. 

Learn more here