7 Tips To Not Get Overwhelmed This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As each semester comes and goes, I find it harder and harder to make sure I do not get overwhelmed. Between worrying about my future, making time for friends, and keeping my grades up, getting overloaded is really easy as a college student. Here are some tips to prevent feeling overwhelmed before it happens.

Get Organized

Everyone I talk to has their own ways to stay organized. Whether it be a planner, notes on your phone, or sticky notes around your room. Many times when my peers get overwhelmed it is because they don’t have everything written out, instead, it’s all in their heads constantly stressing them out. Writing down homework, long-term projects, and planning with friends can help take that stress out of your head and onto paper.

Time for self-care

Self-care is one of those things everyone talks about doing, but no one ever truly makes the time for it, except maybe once a month doing a spa day. Sometimes we don’t think of exercise, hanging with friends, or doing a hobby as self-care, but it is! Anything that allows you to take time for what you enjoy and recharge is a way to have self-care and stop you from burning out.

Talk with your professors

While it may be daunting, talking to your professors is one of the best ways to A) build a relationship and B) stay on track with what you are learning and what is due. Many people think they can get by with just what is posted, which may be true, but talking with professors can help keep you on track. I also find it makes the class more enjoyable as I understand what is going on, and that connection with my professor makes me more comfortable in the class.

Don’t overload yourself

Everyone wants to make sure they get the most out of their semester. They are trying to sign up for every club, every fitness class, and every activity possible. While it all sounds fun, as the semester picks up it is typically unrealistic to do so many things while still having time for yourself. Picking just a few things that you enjoy instead of trying to not miss out can help a lot with feeling like you have everything under control.

Let go of what is out of your control

This is one of those things that is easier said than done, though it is still very important. Reminding yourself that things like tests you’ve already taken, drama from the past, or things that you cannot change in general should not be taking up so much space in your head. It allows for these bad and nagging thoughts to grow and affect your whole mood.

Figure out what is non-negotiable

Understanding what you want from your semester and the things you refuse to give up, such as getting good grades, making sure you have time for fitness, or having time to work, is crucial. Knowing the things that you refuse to give up allows you to be able to say no to those that will get in the way of these goals.

Take a step away from tech

This is one of the most difficult things for our generation to do. Disconnecting from phones or computers is like taking away all our communication with others. However, I find when we allow ourselves a break, it can help us calm down our thoughts and not have so much stimulation at once. Constantly seeing what others are doing can make us feel as if we are not doing enough. Disconnecting and taking a walk or just relaxing can help fight these thoughts and stop you from feeling like you aren’t doing enough.

While we all get overwhelmed sometimes taking small steps to help our own mental health can allow you to enjoy your semester much more. Nothing is foolproof but putting yourself first and taking these steps can definitely help put your mind at ease.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Chloe Hopkins

U Mass Amherst '23

Chloe is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Mathematics and is getting her minor in Education. Chloe is in the CTEP program at UMass to get her masters in Elementary Education. She loves animals and has her own black lab named Hero at home. Chloe loves to workout, write poetry, and go on hikes.