Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Reasons Why You Aren’t Getting Your Period and What You Can Do About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

A late or missed period is not always an alarm for panic. When most college women miss their period, they usually jump to the worst-case scenario: they are pregnant. While pregnancy is a valid reason for a loss of period, it is not the only reason! There are many lifestyle choices or illnesses that can lead to a late, missed, or an absent period. As someone who had lost their period for nearly five years, I can attest that pregnancy is not the only cause. Here are seven reasons beyond pregnancy that may explain why your period is late – and what you can do about it.

Reason #1: Extreme Exercise

If your period is missed, you may want to reevaluate your exercise regime. Exercise has shown to help relieve menstrual cramps, but too much can wreak havoc on your reproductive system. Most women assume that only elite athletes can lose their period due to exercise, but anyone who spends more time than necessary at the gym can lose their period. Nicola Rinaldi, author of “No Period. Now What?” surveyed over 300 women with amenorrhea and found that exercise routines varied greatly in frequency, duration, and intensity. Even women who went to the gym three to four times a week for less than hour suffered from amenorrhea. If you take exercise to the extreme, your body goes into “starvation mode.” The body does this to conserve energy and prevent pregnancy by dropping estrogen levels. Estrogen and progesterone are two key hormones for ovulation. If the body does not ovulate, the uterus does not need to prep for a potential pregnancy, amd the lining of the womb does not thicken and thus your periods stop.

The Fix: Change your exercise routine – cut back until you get your period back. It may feel nice to not have a period for a bit, but loss of menstruation can cause bone density problems (like osteopenia or osteoporosis). See your doctor if your period does not return within a few months. If you know you intend on exercising for hours each day (especially college athletes), then consult a sports medicine doctor who can work with you on your nutrition, stretching, and blood testing as needed so you can support your body’s needs.

Reason #2: Undernourishment

Poor diet is another underlying cause for absent periods. When most people hear about a “poor diet” they picture poor nutrition choices – sometimes the best meaning dieters can be lacking particular nutrients the body desperately needs (some of which are needed for ovulation). Especially nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids found in coldwater fish, as well as some nuts and seeds. Fat in general is important: the University of Maryland Medical Center found that a diet very low in total fat may lead to secondary amenorrhea. Secondary amenorrhea is defined as missing three periods in a row! Extreme weight loss diets and restrictive eating disorders can lead to amenorrhea, as well as other health issues due to nutritional deficiencies.

The Fix: See a nutritionist or a doctor about your diet. In my personal experience, I found that my diet was lacking in omega-3 fatty acids. My nutritionist recommended that I take a fish oil supplement and after a week taking them, I had my period! Make sure you see either a nutritionist or a doctor if you suspect your diet is the cause – amenorrhea can lead to health complications such as osteoporosis, fatigue, brittle hair and nails, skin problems, and even a decline in your cognitive function.

Reason #3: High Stress

Believe it or not, stress can impact your menstrual cycle. That is because stress can cause hormonal imbalances, leading to changes in the frequency and duration of your period. Excessive and prolonged stress can affect the functioning of your hypothalamus. This region of the brain controls the pituitary gland, which regulates hormones (including estrogen and progesterone).

The Fix: Talk to your therapist or doctor about managing your high anxiety and stress. A health professional can help you find healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with intense stress. If these methods do not help, talk to your doctor about taking anti-anxiety medication. Once your stress returns to manageable levels, your period should return within a few months.

Reason #4: Weight Changes

Weighing too much, weighing too little, or having a weight that constantly fluctuates can cause issues for your menstrual cycle. Obesity has shown to impact estrogen and progesterone and perhaps result in decreased fertility. Being underweight means your body does not have the fat or nutrients to produce hormones needed for a period and fertility. Rapid weight changes can interfere with hormone production or release, leading to some missed periods.

The Fix: Talk to your doctor about developing a plan to either gain, lose, or maintiain your weight. Work with a nutritionist to help meet your stable weight goals to support a healthy period and a healthy body.

Reason #5: Underlying Illnesses

If you have ruled out pregnancy or premature menopause, and your lifestyle choices are not the issue, then there may be an underlying illness that can interfere with your menstrual cycle. Below are some examples of illnesses that can cause menstrual problems:

The Fix: After ruling out other causes, make an appointment with your doctor and discuss symptoms to see if you have any sicknesses that are impeding your menstrual cycle.

Reason #6: Schedule Changes

This may sound crazy, but changes in your schedule can lead to missing periods. Changing schedules can throw off your body’s internal clock. Examples could be varied work shifts or from jet lag.

The Fix: If it is jet lag, your body should regulate in a few days. Having an erratic schedule should not be too much of an issue. It simply may just cause your periods to be a bit unpredictable – coming early, coming late, etc. However, if it is completely absent, it probably is not your schedule.

Reason #7: Medications

Medication is another underlying cause of missing or late periods. Medications that can impact your menstrual cycle include:

• Birth control pills (irregular periods)

• Hormonal IUDs (irregular periods)

• Warfarin (heavier periods)

• Aspirin (lighter periods)

• NSAIDs (a Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug for lighter periods)

• Thyroid medication (irregular periods)

• Antidepressants (heavier periods, worse cramps, missing periods)

• Epilepsy medication (irregular or missing periods)

• Chemotherapy (irregular or heavier periods)

The Fix: If you have to take any of these medications, be sure to talk to your doctor about the potential side effects (like unpredictable periods).

Images:  1, 2, 3, 4 

Emily Duryea

U Mass Amherst '21

Emily Duryea is a sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a psychology major with a minor in education. Emily is aspiring to become a school psychologist. Her hobbies include, running, yoga, working out, cooking, writing, and reading. Emily resides in Sandwich on Cape Cod; she loves taking trips to the beach and taking her dog for walks along the Cape Cod Canal.