7 Best TED Talks For Self-Improvement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re in need of some serious inspiration and self-improvement, check out the talks below:

1. “The Power of Vulnerability” by Brene Brown

Brene Brown passionately advises us to embrace our feelings of powerlessness, stating, “You can’t numb those hard feelings without numbing the other affects, our emotions. You cannot selectively numb. So when we numb those [feelings], we numb joy, we numb gratitude, we numb happiness. And then, we are miserable, and we are looking for purpose and meaning, and then we feel vulnerable.”  She expresses that moments of vulnerability are actually wonderful opportunities for growth and self-love. She insists we are “imperfect and wired for struggle” but also “worthy of love and belonging.”

2. “How to Stop Screwing Yourself Over” by Mel Robbins

In this inspirational and brutally honest discussion, Robbins informs us we must actively force ourselves to change our behaviors, ignore our reluctant feelings while doing so, and step outside our comfort zones to achieve what we want in life.

3. “My Philosophy for A Happy Life” by Sam Berns

Progeria patient Sam Berns communicates the importance of letting go of self-pity, focusing on what you can do rather than what you cannot do, and living in the moment in this thought-provoking and moving TED talk.

4. “The Skill of Self-Confidence” by Dr. Ivan Joseph

Dr. Ivan Joseph challenges us to view self-confidence as a tool we can work on with practice, repetition, avoiding negative self-talk, and surrounding ourselves with people who build us up.

5. “How to Speak So That People Want to Listen” by Julian Treasure

In his multidimensional TED talk, Julian Treasure claims we should speak to others without gossip, judgement or negativity while simultaneously being receptive to others. He also describes ways we can utilize the power of our voices.

6. “The Art of Being Yourself” by Caroline McHugh

This TED talk explains how our perceptions of ourselves differ from how others perceive us. McHugh says, “When you think about your identity, when you think about what it means to be alive, when you think about why you deserve to exist, you’re not your thoughts because you think them. And you can’t be your feelings, because otherwise who’s the you that feels them? You’re not what you have; you’re not what you do; you’re not even who you love, or who loves you. There has to be something underneath all that.” As McHugh suggests, we must position our egos in an objective place.

7. “10 Ways to Have A Better Conversation” by Celeste Headlee

Journalist Celeste Headlee urges us to look past the superficial, external ways we show we are listening and dive deeper into what we want to gain from a conversation to build stronger connections.

Images/GIFs: 12345, 6, 7, 8

Olivia Banks

U Mass Amherst

Olivia is a freshman undergraduate student at UMass Amherst. She is an English major, runner, gluten enthusiast, Virgo, animal lover and habitual SNL watcher. She also loves to read, write, and tell terrible jokes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst