Life > Experiences

6 Ways to Romanticize Fall and the Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the beginning of fall upon us, I have been experiencing some feelings of seasonal anxiety and sadness, but am doing my best to enjoy each season as it comes and make the most of it. It is a privilege going to school in New England, and being able to experience the change and beauty of the seasons. Here are a couple of things I like to do during fall that push me to live in the moment and enjoy the weather!

listen to fall music

Matching the music I’m listening to during the season is essential for me when it comes to adjusting to new seasons. Walking around listening to music that encapsulates the feeling fall brings is my favorite way to enjoy and appreciate the weather (BTW, check out my other articles that reference 6 perfect fall songs to listen to).

go on a hike

Amherst, luckily, is close to so many amazing trails and hikes that are perfect if you’re interested in being active and enjoying the weather. The weather during this time of year is preferable for a hike, with it being not too cold that you need a jacket, while still being not too hot that you’re drenched in sweat. Some hikes and trails near Amherst include Mount Walatic Loop, Mill River Conservation Area, and Amethyst Brook Conservation Area.

walk into Amherst center

It is so nice having a downtown as cute as Amherst so close and walkable from campus. Amherst reminds me of Stars Hollow in a fall classic: Gilmore Girls. I lived in Southwest last year, and the walk to Amherst Center was only around 15 minutes. The walk is pretty itself, in which you pass tons of trees with pretty foliage and the cutest homes decorated with fall decor.

study and do work at a café

Something about doing work in a cafe as opposed to my room hits differently. Some of my favorite cafés in Amherst for doing work are The Works and Share Coffee. Argo Tea is also awesome if you are looking to stay on campus.

bake fall treats

Baking when it is cold out and infusing the house with the smell of a sweet treat makes me feel so cozy and right at home. Some of my favorite fall sweet treat favorites include: apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, cinnamon buns, and pumpkin pie.

attend Amherst farmers’ market

UMass can sometimes feel a little congested when staying on campus for long periods of time. I know that sometimes, I feel a little weird when the majority of the crowd I have been interacting with for a while are college students. The Amherst Farmers’ market on Saturdays is perfect for when I need to interact with people other than students.

Fall in Amherst is known to be one of the best seasons — learning to appreciate that has been crucial for me to stay motivated with midterms approaching. Cold weather can sometimes trigger tendencies to hibernate and stay in bed all day, but learning to live in the moment and enjoy what is around me has helped me a ton this semester. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.