This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In the wake of the pandemic, many students have had to give up on a lot of aspects of university life, the main one being living on campus. A lot of us have made the tough decision to stay home this semester. Home, for some, means living in a different time zone than the one your university works in, which is something I unfortunately have to navigate. Over the past few weeks, I have had to find ways to cope with working in a time zone 8 hours away, so here are five things I have learned along the way!

1. Be Organized
Journal opened to September
Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Get a journal or a planner and start getting organized! The toughest part about university is having to deal with constant deadlines, which is only amplified when you work in a different time zone. You will need to keep track of the time difference and submissions which can become hectic, so mapping out your days and the work that needs to get done can be super beneficial!

2. Get Enough Sleep

For many of us, working from home this semester entails attending lectures at odd hours of the night. Our body’s natural circadian rhythm is being tampered with which makes us far more lethargic. The experience is similar to how you would feel when you are jet-lagged, but imagine that feeling constantly – not super fun! I have learned that taking little naps throughout the day can really help with trying to catch up on sleep that is missed out during the night.

3. Staying Healthy
girl meditating at sunset
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash

Feeding your body with the nutrients it needs is important to stay healthy, especially right now in a pandemic. I know it is easier to eat sugary snacks late at night when you are too tired to cook something, but sugary foods only give you temporary energy, eventually leading to an energy crash. Working on a different time zone is going to take a toll on your body, so find healthier options for food and take care of yourself. Staying active will also give you the boost of energy needed to help you be motivated and keep going! Being healthy also means taking care of your mental health by adopting practices that will help you de-stress such as playing an instrument, journaling, or yoga.

4. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help

This is a challenging time for everyone so don’t be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to friends and family, or mental health resources if you are feeling alone. If you are having a hard time with college and assignments due to working in a different time zone, reach out to your professors, I am sure they will be more than understanding of your circumstances.

5. Be Patient and Kind to Yourself
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

I know it may feel frustrating at times because of the challenges you might face this semester. Just remember that you are not alone, there are other people in the same boat as you, and that adapting to this change takes time: be patient with the process and yourself. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss a deadline or can’t make it to a particular meeting because you prioritized your health and sleep schedule: be confident and remember you did the right thing!

Hopefully, some of these tips help you out and motivate you to keep going. It’s okay if you don’t do these perfectly, you are doing the best with the little that has been handed to you. I hope all you have a great semester and all the best!

Anushka Myndapanda

U Mass Amherst '23

Anushka is currently a senior and majoring in Mathematics and Psychology. She loves to spend time with family and friends, reading books, staying active, and is passionate about climate change and sustainability.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst