This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Here are some ways to deal with the stress of exam season.

1.  Self-care

Exam season can be rough and days of studying and doing homework can be exhausting. This stress can sometimes take over your life and you gotta remember to take care of yourself. Treat yourself. Whether that’s buying a cheap facemask from the drug store or chilling and watching some Netflix.

2. Take breaks in between studying 

No one wants to study for five hours straight and doing so can hardly be productive. After a while, at least for me, I start to lose focus and the information I’m reading or looking at is no longer sinking in. Don’t force yourself to sit there and study if none of it is taking. Taking a break to eat or just relax can be extremely helpful.

3. Relax

Stress can have physical tolls as well as mental ones. Your muscles tense up and so does your mind. Relax your muscles by stretching, taking hot showers, or exercising. Maybe do yoga or take a fitness class. Remember to breathe as well – taking in deep breathes can lift the weight off your shoulders. Sleep is also a HUGE part of relaxing. Getting a good night’s sleep not only clears your mind but it also refreshes your body.

4. Talk to your professors

If you’re really stressing about your grades and for exams definitely talk to your professors. They should all have office hours and some of them may even have special office hours near their exam. Your professors want to help you. They want to see you succeed and do well. So do not be afraid to reach out to them for extra help. 

5. Trust yourself

In the end, surrounding exam season, you need to just trust yourself. Trust that you are prepared and you are going to the best you can on your exam. You are here for a reason and you are gonna get through this. Once the exams are over, the stress surrounding it will hopefully be over as well.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst