5 Underrated RSOs at UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you’re a freshman looking to try out new activities, or a rising senior that wants to broaden your horizons, there’s something for everyone here at UMass Amherst. Here are the top five underappreciated Registered Student Organizations on campus that you should check out. 

1. UMass Theatre Guild

The UMass Theatre Guild is the oldest RSO on campus. From the audition process to designing costumes to the final performance, the entire organization is student-run. The Theatre Guild is one of the most hard-working organizations due to their independence and exceptional teamwork.

Fun fact: Shows in the past have included Broadway classics such as Legally Blonde and SeussicalHere is a link to their Tumblr to find out more information.

2. Sisters on the Runway

This organization focuses on fundraising for Safe Passage, a domestic violence shelter in Northampton, and hosts a fashion show every spring to benefit the shelter.

Fun fact: All the clothes that are modeled at the fashion show are raffled off, and the proceeds go to the shelter. Here is their Facebook page.

3. Fencing Club

The UMass Fencing Club is one of the hidden gems in the UMass athletic world. This RSO spends four times a week working on technique and preparing for competitions.

Fun fact: The team even travels to compete in tournaments and competes with colleges! Here is their Facebook.

4. Mass Games

If you’ve ever seen chalk written on the sidewalk advertising a game of Man Hunt on Orchard Hill or for Ultimate Frisbee, Mass Games is the organization behind it.

Fun fact: One of the most popular events that the club is known for is Humans vs. Zombies, which happens every October. Here is a link to the organization.

5. Quidditch Club

If you are an avid Harry Potter fan, you know the game of Quidditch like the back of your hand. Here at UMass, we have our very own team registered with the national organization.

Fun fact: They even compete against other colleges! This is their Facebook group.

UMass is a huge school, which can sometimes make being a student here feel overwhelming. Just remember that no matter what you are interested in, there is always somewhere you belong on campus, Collegiettes.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chloe Trepanier

U Mass Amherst

Chloe is a Her Campus National Social Media Intern and a senior Communication major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the Social Media Director for Facebook for the UMass chapter and is the Chairperson of the UMass Theatre Guild. Her hobbies include watching 30 Rock and eating ice cream. You can follow her on Twitter and on Instagram. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst