5 Reasons Why You Should See UMass Theatre Guild’s ‘The Shadow Box’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This week, the UMass Theatre Guild presents their production of The Shadow Box. The show will premiere April 12th – 13th at 7:30pm and April 14th at 1pm and 7:30pm in the Fine Arts Center Arts Bridge. Every semester the Theatre Guild puts on one a musical and one play. Following their sold out production of Heathers: The Musical, The Shadow Box shares a story of love, life and loss. The play spans over 24 hours at three separate houses at a hospice center featuring a series of patients that have all agreed to be a part of a psychological study. The show features their dialogues with a team of interviewers as well as with their family and friends. Intrigued yet? Here’s a link to the trailer

Here are 5 reasons why you should buy a ticket to see the Guild’s production of The Shadow Box!

1. It’s set in the round.

​It’s a very unique opportunity to see a show in the round features the audience sitting around the actors performance instead of solely in front. This provides a very intimate experience with the characters and gives you a one-of-a-kind experience!

2. It’s in a new space.

Recently, the Fine Arts Center opened a series of old art and architecture classrooms to be used for performance. On this “Arts Bridge”, we are privileged to be utilizing the space of two classrooms which allows us to accommodate for up to 70 people. This new space will give more performance opportunities to organizations campus-wide.

3. It’s a blast from the past.

As the show is set in the 1970’s, the costume design is absolutely stunning and inspired by the eccentric time period. Talk about bell bottom jeans and turtle neck sweaters!

4. You have a chance to support student-run theater.

Attending student run theatre performances, like those put up by the UMass Theatre Guild, is extremely important as it not only supports your fellow classmates but also supports future shows. Theatre on campus is so much fun to watch and even more fun when you get to see your classmates and friends perform! 

5. The actor’s performances are top-notch.

The actor’s performances are extremely raw. With a little under two months of rehearsals, these actors have been tirelessly working on this production under the incredible direction of John H. Llewellyn. Their dedication and talent is tangible throughout the production and should not be missed!

Tickets are available for April 12, April 13 and April 14 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Space is limited, so get them now!

All images courtesy of the UMass Theatre Guild.

Chloe Trepanier

U Mass Amherst

Chloe is a Her Campus National Social Media Intern and a senior Communication major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the Social Media Director for Facebook for the UMass chapter and is the Chairperson of the UMass Theatre Guild. Her hobbies include watching 30 Rock and eating ice cream. You can follow her on Twitter and on Instagram. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst