Wellness

5 Practices That Have Helped Me Lead the Life I Want to Live

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we all ring in the New Year, many of us take the time to reflect on the past year, identifying what worked for us and what didn’t. I know I did! This exercise has allowed me to determine what I want to continue to include in my daily life in 2023, and get rid of what no longer serves me. Recognizing that everyone’s goals and habits are different, here are five practices that have helped me lead the life I want to live that I plan to take with me in the New Year.

Journaling

Although journaling has been around forever, I didn’t start seriously journaling until January of last year. Now, after a full year of doing it, I can confidently say that it has improved my life. Whether it’s the most minor nuisance or a bigger issue, writing about it helps me so much. It feels like unloading my emotions and leaves me feeling lighter than when I began. It also takes the burden off of those around us to “solve” our problems, especially when it’s not something that can be resolved that easily. Of course, talking about your concerns with your friends is helpful, but sometimes I find that the journal is more suitable for the situation.

Reading in moments when I would normally be on my phone

This is such a big one for me! Although it doesn’t sound like much, it actually makes a world of difference, specifically in the amount I’m able to read weekly compared to before. I’m talking about reading when waiting for an appointment, when grabbing a quick bite to eat, or in the mornings, instead of going on my phone. A pro tip for this one is to carry your book around with you — it makes the implementation of this habit so much easier.

Cutting caffeine out of my diet

Although I love the routine of having a cup of coffee in the morning, I realized that a large caffeine intake made me anxious, manifesting itself in scattered thoughts and shaky hands. As such, I now opt for a decaffeinated coffee, instead prioritizing eight hours of sleep every night. Other drinks I enjoy are matcha lattes and iced chai lattes, which can both give me a little caffeine kick, without sending my body into overdrive.

Spending time in the sun, weather permitting

Sunshine is so important for our well-being. In fact, experts at Healthline recommend sitting out in the sun for 10-30 minutes, several times a week. I have made this a priority, even in the colder winter months, but especially now that it’s getting warmer again. Whenever I have time in-between classes, I try spending it outside (again, weather permitting). I love pairing it with a good book, too.

Allocating time on the weekends to call long-distance friends & family

For my readers with friends and family throughout the whole world, you understand how difficult it is sometimes to stay connected, especially when our personal lives get busy. As such, I started planning my phone calls, coordinating with the other person to find a time that works for both of us, and marking it in my planner. This way, it’s written down and I’m less likely to forget or skip it. I found that weekends work best for me and my friends and family.

Though I have added, modified, and/or erased many other habits over the past year, I consider these five practices to be the most influential. I find that if I focus on too many things at once, I lose focus of all. So, these are the things I chose to concentrate on and that have helped me lead the life I want to live. I encourage everyone to reflect on their own habits and find the ones that work and that they want to hone in on.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Andrea Tchesnovsky

U Mass Amherst '25

Andrea Tchesnovsky is a junior Comparative Literature major at UMass Amherst. Born in Bulgaria, she is fluent in four languages and is currently learning Italian as her fifth. Other than writing, Andrea’s interests include fashion, photography, reading contemporary novels, yoga, and traveling!