5 Instagram Accounts You Should Follow for Daily Affirmations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

About a year ago, I decided to reevaluate my goals on social media, specifically when looking at my Instagram account. Social media is something we consume every day and it’s one of the only forms of media we have agency over through algorithms. It’s the only media where you control the headlines and choose who to follow, which allows you to curate the type of feed you want to see when you aimlessly scroll.

I noticed that my feed began to overflow with workout routines, posts from old friends, and influencers who made me feel insecure. So one Sunday afternoon, I decided it was time for a new start. I didn’t have enough courage to make a new account, but I slowly started to make little changes that would help boost my mood. I muted people I didn’t care to think about, unfollowed some workout pages and influencers, and started paying attention to the posts that made me smile. 

Instagram has about 500 million active daily users. If this is something so many of us use, then the parts we can control, such as who we follow, should be affecting us positively. This is when I started to follow daily affirmation accounts. If you are not big into affirmations then this article may not be for you, but before you stop reading, note that there is actually some science behind it. Studies show that affirmations as a form of self-help actually work by activating the reward circuit in your brain that releases an abundance of happy neurotransmitters and hormones. If once a day just one quote can resonate with me, then I feel like I have gained something positive from my daily Instagram usage. Hopefully, these accounts below will give you the same relief and help you stay positive.

1) @quotesbychristie

This account is aesthetically pleasing, colorful, and reassuring — what more could you ask for? Christie makes these affirmations pleasing to the eye and the heart. She uses quotes that touch on relatable aspects of life such as breakups, healing, and self-love. All of the amazing quotes and graphics are even available in merch at her online store

2) @wetheurban

This Black-owned Instagram account lives by its motto: “Our posts have been proven to improve personal power by 1000%.” This account focuses on inclusivity and self-love, reminding everyone of their worth. I have saved numerous affirmations from this account to rewrite in my journal or save as my lock screen. This account will allow you to feel a part of something bigger and remind you that you are never suffering on your own. This is easily one of my favorite accounts on this platform. 

3) @femalecollective

This account, owned by Candace Reels (@candancereels), focuses on uplifting women and celebrating femininity. There is a mix of affirmation posts, tweets, and TikToks that aim to empower. Celebrating women and destroying stigmas is all a part of Candace’s goal, and it should be a part of yours too. Here’s to girl power!

4) @worrywellbeing

This account is lighthearted and the brightly colored illustrations always catch my eye when I am scrolling through my home page. Ruby mixes artwork and affirmations by designing posts that radiate positivity, optimism, and self-acceptance. Ruby also posts informative graphics about anxiety and tips for healing and growing. This account is a must-follow!

5) @iam.affirmations

These simplistic posts are easy to read and fuel the heart with kindness and self-love. They are straightforward with no noisy backgrounds, but with the same amount of punch. These are the types of affirmations I love to write on sticky notes and leave around my room, for a pinch of motivation in the morning. This great account even has an app that will notify you with daily affirmations and reminders. They pledge to help you rewire your brain and build up your self-esteem

Affirmations are a way to practice positive thinking and improve your self-esteem. If they make you smile and provide some reassurance, why not flood your Instagram feed with them?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair