Wellness > Mental Health

5 Commitments I’m Making To Better My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Although we’re only about three weeks into the semester, I’ve noticed that my mental health has already taken a pretty big hit. Between social anxiety and making new friends, as well as learning to balance self-care and socializing, my anxiety has been through the roof. Here are five things I’m committing to doing this semester that I think will get me on the right track.

1. 3 Meals a Day

This may sound like an easy habit to start, but for someone who recently went through eating disorder treatment, sticking to my recovery plan is hard. I’ve noticed that when I don’t nourish myself properly I feel more depressed, out of control, and don’t want to engage in social interactions. By starting my day off with a wholesome breakfast, I believe I’ll have the kickstart I need to have a productive day.

2. Reading before bed

I used to read before bed every night in high school. It’s such a relaxing and calming habit for me. Ever since college, I’ve drifted away from books and have resorted to falling asleep to random shows on Netflix. Reading allows me to escape into worlds I’ve never known and relate to characters that are unique and diverse. Not to mention, I’ve been obsessed with Colleen Hoover lately and I need to catch up with her most recent releases.

3. Moving my body more

As someone who is new to eating disorder recovery, I’m still navigating the journey of how to love and accept my body. Lately, I’ve been having the urge to work out and move my body more. This could be anything from going on walks around my apartment complex to going to the gym and lifting some weights. Regardless of what I do, I want to commit to moving my body at least three times a week. This new habit will also take patience, however, since I am still trying to figure out what a fitness routine looks like in my life.

4. Bullet journaling

I LOVE my bullet journal, however, I feel like lately I’ve been putting it off a lot. Journaling helps me feel like I’m in control of my routine and makes me feel better when planning my weeks out. I would love to commit to even just thirty minutes a day of bullet journaling; this simple exercise may just help to calm my anxiety about feeling so “all over the place” and give me some time to relax and be creative at the same time.

5. Call home more often

This one often seems the most difficult for me. As a college student navigating her own independent life, it can be hard to carve out time to call back home. However, more recently I’ve been feeling more disconnected than ever from my family at home. While I have a great support system out here at school, calling home once in a while may help me to feel more grounded and connected to much more than just my tiny circle in Amherst.

These are just a few of the things that I want to commit to this semester; although they may seem simple, these five goals seem like the type of structure I might just need to feel back on track and ready to conquer the rest of my junior year.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Kiley Smyth

U Mass Amherst '23

Kiley is a Senior at UMass Amherst studying Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations. She is also pursuing a certificate in Film Studies!