Style > Fashion

4 Wardrobe Must-Haves for the Awkward, Pre-fall Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall officially started a few weeks back, but we know it’s not time for full-on knitted sweaters or double-layered pants yet. The weather in Amherst is basically unpredictable with it being sunny one day, cloudy and windy the next, and even occasionally rainy. It’s an awkward time to dress in full-on thick clothes, but it’s not time for summer dresses either. We’re going for comfort yet elevated in this article. Here are four versatile items to have in your wardrobe for this awkward Fall-but-not-quite weather.

1. Sweatshirts

I kid you not when I say I went to classes freshman year in my pajamas because they were comfortable and I didn’t have time in the mornings. Now, as a senior, I like to attempt to look more put together. However, there have been a lot more minimum effort days than freshman year, so I opt for sweatshirts — more specifically, oversized ones with drop shoulders. You can always elevate the look with some accessories like necklaces, earrings, or headphones.

swearshirt2sweatshirt

2. Baggy-Style pants

If all the k-dramas taught us one thing, it’s that baggy-style pants are THE way to go. From grocery runs to sitting in classes all day, they cater to all levels of comfort with no sacrifice in your outfit’s overall vibe. These can also be worn for a business casual look so it’s a one-fit for multiple occasions kind of deal.

baggy pantsbaggy pants2

3. Sweater Vests

Repeating outfits? Not a problem. Sweater vests are here to save the day! Whether you’re wearing just one layer on a warmer day or layering with a collared shirt or a thin long sleeve, this is a weather-friendly choice that doesn’t require too much prep time for an outfit.

sweatervests

4. Flared sweatpants

Nothing can ever replace sweatpants. The look and feel of them just make this piece of clothing superior. But did you know there are more shapes of sweatpants that you can mix and match just to have some fun when trying out new styles? Out of all the sweatpants, flared ones add a different layer to complete the outfit

Every season should have its own wardrobe, but when it comes to in-between seasons these pieces make it a whole lot easier to build outfits. Any more ideas on what pieces to add to this kind of weather?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Yuki Thane

U Mass Amherst '23

Yuki is a junior at UMass Amherst majoring in Informatics and Communication. Playing instruments, singing, taking pictures, writing and sketching are some things she does when she's not 6ft under readings and assignments. Anyone can find her power-walking on campus at any time jamming to BTS.